Friday, February 22, 2013

From JohnM: 28mm Dwarves from 'The Hobbit' (60 points)


From John:

The minute I saw these figures last weekend in the GW store in Montreal, I knew that I had to have them. They are just really cool. Painting them was great because I could see immediately how I wanted to paint them. No googling away this time. 
Here we have 12 dynamic poses of heavily armoured dwarves. It took a bit of time assembling them, but all in all they went together easily. 
They were primed white, I know this sounds strange, but the car primer I use, has really a great bite. They were then airbrushed with the old GW Boltgun Metal. I then heavily washed them with a really oldie Citadel Tin Blitz. A very new paint Citadel Dry Necron Compound was brushed on. 
The beards and the clothing was then painted and AP Dark Tone was sparingly applied. I then touched up only the beards and the clothes with AP brush on Antishine, leaving a lot of the metal shiny. I really like how they came out. 
I will leave the Hobbit now and get back to some Napoleonics.
Lovely work John. I really like how you did their armour - you're getting very good with the airbrush (something I've never had the patience for). I'll have to try out some of the Necron compound as it seems to give a very nice effect.

These dozen dwarves will give John 60 points. Good stuff!

8 comments:

  1. Great job John!

    With GW's black color scheme I was a bit hesitant to add these figs to my LOTR Dwarves, but now seeing them in a blue scheme like my army I'll definitely be adding them in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the armour effects, great work

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful stuff John!
    To quote Gimli; "fully armed and filthy!" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work John. And great lighting effect - it really looks as though they are in Moria

    ReplyDelete
  5. THe reddish light really adds a forge feeling to the images. Great characterful sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful figures. You have done a fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)