Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Jean de Vallette, Grand Marshal of the Order of Saint John, Defender of Malta 1565

 

Here is another small addition to my Great Siege of Malta collection. Since I have a command stand for Turgut Reis 'The Drawn Sword of Islam', I thought it only fitting to do-up his arch-adversary, Jean Parisot de Vallette, the Grand Marshal of the Order of Saint John and of the Knights of Malta.

Jean de Vallette was 70 years old at the time of the great siege, and while positively ancient in 16th century terms, there are numerous reports of him in the thick of the fighting at the walls - definitely a tough old bird. His command of the defence of the island is considered today as masterful, but also draconian and merciless. He felt he did what he needed to hold out for reinforcements. He and his Order survived the siege and was instrumental in overseeing the reconstruction of the city and its defences after the battle. The capital Valletta, is named after him.

Sarah and I had the pleasure of visiting Malta a few years ago and were delighted to visit many of the sights of the siege around Valletta. The new military museum is absolutely amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone considering a visit to the island. Sarah even visited the Co-Cathedral of St. John where Vallette's crypt resides (being a lazy bugger on holiday, I slept in). 

This is a set from Warlord Games. I'm not 100% sure of the sculptor, but I'm fairly certain it's from the talented hands of Paul Hicks. A lovely trio of models and a wonderful to work on. 


For the brown horses I decided to try something new and did an oil wash of W&N 'VanDyke Brown' with a touch of 'Lamp Black'. It worked fairly well, though I did make a few rookie mistakes here and there. I'd definitely try it again, though with odourless thinner next time - my hobby room still a bit malodorous from this little experiment.


Thanks for dropping in for a look!

- Curt

6 comments:

  1. Great stuff Curt, Vallette really looks the part with the trumpeter and standard. I have loved watching this Malta project develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oli! I was just showing my wife your blog the other day and she was very impressed with your focused collection (as opposed to mine, which is the antithesis of 'focused'). :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous mate, as ever. Malta has been on my 'go to' list for decades now, but its a bit out of the way from where I (usually) am :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. You'd love Malta - so rich in history.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work Curt! As a Maltese gamer I appreciate these pieces a bit more than usual!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)