Friday, March 2, 2018

Entry #14 to AHPC VIII: 'Gloria Invicta' Renaissance Cavalry Casualty


Just a single figure from me today. This time it's an another casualty stand for my Italian Wars collection, a stricken horse and its dead rider - a set that I've sourced from Gamezone Miniatures. 

Gamezone has obviously marketed itself as an alternative source of figures for Warhammer Fantasy Battle fans. While most of the castings are indeed fantasy oriented, there are many of the 'Empire' themed figures which will stand-in very nicely for the Renaissance period, particularly for Spanish soldiers of Charles V's reign.

This set is called 'Gloria Invicta' and is probably amongst the best sculpted 28mm models that I've had the pleasure to work with. The sense of movement, the skill with which both figures' anatomy has been rendered and the overall feeling of pathos conveyed by the pair is amazing.


Out of the pack the rider is bare handed, which is absolutely fine, but I decided to drill-out one of his hands and give him a shivered lance modelled from a piece of plastic rod. I like to think that this small addition helps to make the scene a little more dynamic - giving the impression that they have just staggered away from a ferocious melee.


As a little experiment I applied several thin coats of Formula P3 Armour Wash mixed with blue ink on his armour plate to give the impression of the blued armour which was frequently seen during this period.


I've mounted the figure on one of the D-shaped bases that I've come up with for this project. The flat side fits snug against my transparent unit platters, helping to identify which unit it belongs to.


Thanks for dropping in folks - keep warm and have a good day!


5 comments:

  1. Its a beautiful figure Curt, its in my top 3 figures of the Challenge so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray! I'm absolutely delighted that you like it.

      Delete
  2. Superb work Curt. The figure makes a great marker and when placed by your other figures he doesn't look at all like a fantasy miniature, a good find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding work Curt! One can almost feel the pain of the rider and the fear of the poor mount.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)