Thursday, January 30, 2014

From ByronM: 28mm WWI Canadian Infantry (45 points)


Byron returns to his Great War project with this excellent section of Canadian infantry.

From Byron:
Hello again, here is another submission, moving right along on my Great War stuff
After deviating once again from my Great War project, this time to the far future of the 40k universe, I am returning the the fateful days of 1915 when the brave Canadians entered the war.
This section is another towards the composition of the Canadian 10th Battalion.  These figures are from my personal favourite WW1 manufacturer: Musketeer Miniatures.  While I know there are many other great mini companies out there, so far I have personally had the best luck with Musketeer, as the figures arrived almost completely free of mold lines, have crisp detail, great facial detail, and awesome packs and rifles.  
Don’t get me wrong, I like the renegade miniatures I have, I just wish they were a little smaller and less beefy, and I love the Great War miniatures company ones, other than their lack of facial detail.  Musketeer though, offers great detailed figs at a really reasonable price, about $10cnd for 4 figs!  When your used to paying GW pricing of $10-$20 per figure, that’s down right cheap! 
Anyway, the British themselves painted up really easily and quickly.  Not 100% sold on the faces as I ran out of my favourite skin tone and wash!!!  And since they were the GW colours from 3 generations ago…  I need to find something new and haven’t gotten it right yet.  I have all the vallejo’s and use them for almost everything else, but the flesh and flesh wash was my last true hold out from GW paint lines…..  That and, yes I know the packs are too dark for historical accuracy, sorry.  I realized that after I did the other section of 10th Battalion troops I did, and corrected it on my 16th Battalion troops, but then decided to leave the 10th with dark packs and the 16th with light so that they are easier to spot the difference between them at a distance (ok, lame excuse since the 16th is in kilts with glengarries but I’m sticking with that argument)

Also included is the card I made up for them for 'Through the Mud and the Blood'.

Beautiful work Byron. I feel your pain regarding using the last pot of a discontinued colour. I'm still desperately missing GW's Bubonic Brown and Devlan Mud (or perhaps it's just the smell of Devlan Mud I miss). I also agree that Musketeer Miniatures produces some of the best 28mm Great War models on the market today. I just wish the range had a little more breadth, but I know these things take time to develop.

This section of Canuck infantry will give Byron 45 points. I look forward to hearing of their debut with the Fawcett Avenue gang in the next week or so.

13 comments:

  1. More great looking Great War figures, also looking forward to reading about their exploits

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, fantastic - the officer looks very dashing in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic painting - these are really beautifully done. Such great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Byron - the Musketeer Sculpts are really very nice indeed and you've more than done them justice! Cracking stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Mr Roundwood. Cracking stuff indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Byron.
    And you're right Curt...I miss the smell of Devlan Mud...it smells of a great paint job...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving these Byron! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice sculpts really brought to life by a superb paint job. You should be rightly pleased with all of your Canadians.

    Pip pip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Lovely stuff. Makes me want to repaint mine and do a better job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)