Friday, April 22, 2011

Product Review: 'Wings of War' Magnetic Gimbal Mounts


We've been playing a 'Wings of War' campaign lately and so I picked these magnetic gimbal mounts up from the Wings of War Aerodrome as I thought they were a brilliant little add-on for the game.


They're simply a ball bearing matched with a magnetic collar that fits between the existing stand and the aircraft model.


The assembly process is straightforward: first snip off the existing post at the bottom of the model and drill in a small hollow that will allow for the bearing to sit. Then put a drop of superglue in the hollow and place the bearing. Leave to cure.


Next assemble the stand and apply some superglue to the top of one of the posts. Then afix a magnetic collar to the post and allow to set-up.


So after about 5 minutes work you have a model that can depict it's tuns, climbs and dives (or, for me, impending crashes).


At $6.99 for a set of 10 these gimbal mounts provide a nice bit of added animation to the game - recommended!

2 comments:

  1. You've been nominated for a style award

    http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/2011/04/award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, wow, thanks Miles! I'm very honoured that you think my blog worthy of nomination. I wonder what its all about though. Where does this 'award' originate and what is the selection criteria?

    Nonetheless, thanks again for thinking of me!

    Curt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)