Monday, April 18, 2011

From Curt: 28mm Perry 1er Regiment de Dragons


Some might remember that some of these boys were featured in a previous post last autumn back when they were a unit of 16 figures. Well, I've added another eight to bring them up to a stronger 24-man regiment in order to face-up to Greg's Austrian Dragoons.


The 1st Dragoons had a long and distinguished career that extended through the Revolutionary period, the Republic and the Empire - right up to Waterloo (where, oddly, they were converted to lancers). One of their more notable feats was during the early part of the 1805 campaign where at Wertingen they cut up the Austrian Kuer Albert Regiment Nr. 3, took 6 guns and forced a Hungarian grenadier battalion to surrender. A good day to be a French Dragoon apparently...


These are Perry plastics which are some of the best figures I've ever built and painted. Lack of weight aside I really can't recommend them enough.


Dragoon green is bit of a fiddly colour as its quite distinct from other greens, and either you have the right shade or it looks completely wrong. After trying to mix my own (epic fail) I finally threw in the towel and bought the Foundry set of Dragoon Green (70A-C).  Foundry's 'paint system' has each colour spread over three shades: a dark-tone, a mid-tone and a highlight. For the most part their paints work quite well, give good coverage and have a rich tone which I quite like. I find that they have a bit of a satin finish but this can be managed with a good matt spray.


There you have it, a regiment done and another 16 points tucked away for the Challenge. With these lads I've managed to slip by JohnM to take the lead - but for how long can I hold before someone catches up?

5 comments:

  1. Very nice, Curt, I am starting to get very envious of these big cavalry regiments.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John. Yeah, the mass is nice - trouble is that I just want to keep adding on. It would be very cool to see a full squadron done up 1:1. Maybe I'll do another regiment that has scarlet facings so they can be combined in the painting cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curt these are excellent!
    28mm cavalry look the business when done well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, your comments are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)