Friday, February 12, 2016

Entry #12 to the AHPC - Madame Ting-Ting, her Bodyguards and her Garford-Pulitov Armoured Car


After the Russian Civil War, many White Russians tried to escape Bolshevik persecution by fleeing abroad. They went to all corners of the world, and many White soldiers, needing work or seeking adventure, traveled to China and fought amongst the ranks of the various warlords vying for power. The city of Shanghai became a particularly popular emigre destination, and a vibrant Russian ghetto soon established itself, traces of which can still be seen today.

So from this background we see here my new pulp adventuress, 'Madame Ting-Ting', along with her trio of Russian ex-pat bodyguards, and their rather care-worn Garford-Putilov armoured car. 


The Madame was born Leia Natasha Petrovostalavitch (an extrapolation of a friend's 'Top Secret' RPG character name), the headstrong daughter of a Russian diplomat and Chinese courtesan. She is now simply known as 'Madame Ting-Ting' - that being the sound of her enemies' bullets bouncing off her armoured car. (My thanks to Sylvain's new puppy for inspiring me with the nickname!)



These models started life during the first week of the Painting Challenge, but have languished for the past month so I thought I better get them cleared off the table before I ran out of time.

M. Ting-Ting and her bodyguards are all 28mm Copplestone figures. I had a lot of fun painting Ting-Ting, especially her red gloves and elegant cigarette holder. I chose the riflemen as I liked their ragged uniforms, thinking them fitting after their long retreat to central China. 



The Garford-Putilov is from Copplestone as well. It's a wonderful model, though rather small in relative scale (1:55). In reality, these vehicles were quite huge, this one weighing in at around 11 tons. Like many early armoured cars they were extremely underpowered - this one boasting a whopping 20 HP engine with a top speed of 18kph!


I love the turret, with its barrel-encased 76mm gun and the wing MG sponsons. Completely mental.


For Ting-Ting's banner I wanted something 'Pulpy' and a bit silly, so I went with a motif that features a skull with crossed cigarette holders. Of course, since there are not many commercially produced flags featuring this design, I had to make one myself. :)


It was a bit daunting at first, but I soon began to channel my long-dormant highschool drafting skillz and managed to muddle through.




There you go, 'Madame Ting-Ting' and her 11 ton Tin Lizzie!



Thanks for dropping by folks and have a great weekend!

21 comments:

  1. Beautifully painted figures and freehand flag. BTW, you've reminded me how much I enjoyed my drafting class in HS :) This would've been in '78 or '79 - so way before CAD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. I'm with you on the pre-cad drafting classes (though I did take a couple CAD courses when I was in uni because it looked like fun - they cured of that illusion)

      Delete
  2. Brilliant work Curt! I need to do this period someday!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I know you would make it all look smashing Christopher.

      Delete
  3. Excellent and inspiring work!I love the flowers and
    the basing job!!
    Regards, George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much George - I'm delighted you like them.

      Delete
  4. I am *so* tempted by this stuff mate. The Garford-Putilov is a crazy piece of kit and the fact it's Copplestone just makes me want one even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it Millsy! You'd have a blast with the whole genre - I think it'd be right up your alley.

      Delete
  5. That is great! I've just started following your blog ;)

    Warburton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Warburton, much appreciated. BTW I really like your Gothic collection. I have a bunch of those models in storage and really should give it a go.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, buddy - yes you should :)

      Delete
  6. Madame Ting-Ting....what a woman! She looks vaguely familiar - I'm sure I met someone resembling her when I was in Shanghai in 1995. Quite insane - but she did have an identical cigarette holder and a similar leather coat. A great-grand-daughter, perhaps ...

    Oh. Splendid painting by the way as well, Curt! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to ask you about this personal recollection when we next meet up, Sid. It sounds wonderfully salacious. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)