Sunday, January 26, 2014

From ScottB: 28mm Castellans of Dol Guldur from 'The Hobbit' (20 points)


From Scott:
With recent events hotting up in the Hobbit movie and Dol Guldur setting really getting developed, I've been playing some LOTR SBG games at home with my son. We've enjoyed some scenarios from the Fall of the Necromancer.. 
For the next scenario in sequence I needed 4 Castellans of Dol Guldur...
I've had these figures for some time (like most of my LOTR collection now), and have wanted to paint them up for ages, but never got round to it.
I am not sure how good they are in the game, but they fit the setting superbly, and I think they are wonderfully evil and menacing looking figures without going OTT in a Warhammer kind of way...
28mm scale figures for the GW LOTR SBG game. Simple black robes, much like the Ringwraiths, with old looking dark armour. But as a final touch I gave them a wash with GWs Green wash, to try give them a slightly ghostly/spectral quality. I didn't want to over do it, so it's quite subtle.
The bases I deliberately left looking rather sparse - didn't think they'd look right standing besides flower clumps!
I also got a pack resin skulls from Slave to Painting and was going to add some to the bases...but on closer look at the skulls, I think they are just a little too big to scale well with the LOTR range of figures - perhaps more akin to the oversize Warhammer stuff, so in the end left them off.
Hope you like them, and I can't wait to try them out in the game.

Lovely work Scott! I really like the effect the green wash gave to these figures - something that could be used on the Nazgul as well I would imagine.

These four Castellans of Dol Guldur will give Scott 20 points. Very nice and I hope you and your son have a great game with them.

7 comments:

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)