Friday, April 27, 2012

Taking It On The Road - SALUTE, 'The Rejects' and The Dordogne


My apologies for the absence from the blog. We've been on vacation since the 15th and I bodged through this update on the go using our overstressed iPad which was a supreme test of nerves and patience.


We touched down in London on the 18th to visit with friends, check-out some sights and get a few last-minute details sorted before our hop over to France. I also got a chance to attend 'SALUTE' with my good friend Dallas (from The Fawcett Ave Conscripts), which was a complete blast.
...


I only took a few pics with my crap phone camera, knowing that the event would be well documented by many others. Nonetheless, here are a few pics of two Napoleonic displays, a staggeringly huge 15mm Aspern-Essling game and a gorgeous 54mm Victrix scenario. To view excellent coverage of the show check out Sidney's and Big Lee's blogs as their photos and commentary are first-rate.




I managed to meet up with several bloggers who've I've become acquainted with over the past year. It was very nice to put faces to names and to meet some new folk as well. I had an especially nice time with Michael from MiniStories and his mates from Holland, Rob and Jacco, who we joined for dinner and drinks after Salute. Really great guys.

Speaking of great guys I, along with fellow bloggers Seb and Tamsin were were kindly invited to a Sunday game by Ray, Fran, Postie and fellow 'Reject' Big Lee. This was held at Posties lair, a wonderful wargaming shed that dominates his backyard.

The game was an ACW scenario 'The Battle of Salutesville' based loosely on the prelude to Antietam (or Sharpesburg, depending on your leanings).



Above is the Union command: Ray, myself and Seb. If I look somewhat stunned and incredulous in the photos it is not due to the game, it's probably because I was operating on a couple hours sleep - bloody jetlag - that, or its simply my natural expression... Nonetheless, I had just a super time and a huge thanks go out to Ray for coordinating, Postie for hosting, Fran for the cuisine and the rest of the attendees for their great company. It was really a fabulous day!


Finally, here is a shot of me looking far too smug at the cottage we've rented in Turenne, France. A lovely spot and highly recommended for a little R&R.

In my next post I'll talk about my upcoming project which is not uncommon but little odd.

18 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good time at Salute and the Game afterwards. Hope you enjoy the relaxing French countryside and look forward to meeting you again at some future show maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great hanging out with you, Lee, even though you bashed us pretty hard at the closing of that game! 'Cocked Dice' indeed! Good fun.
    - Curt

    ReplyDelete
  3. GReat time we had indeed.
    And have a nice holidays in Dordogne. Very nice area

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Curt:

    Glad you're enjoying your holiday in what looks like a lovely part of France. Glad you made some connections at Salute. I read the AAR on Fran's blog (or was it Ray's?) and it looked like you had a great time. I am scheming to get one of those Posties Rejects tshirts.
    Cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Seb: Yes, very good time - too bad you could not stay for our ultimate collapse ;p

    @Mad Padre: You need to get over to Blighty for a cultural and t-shirt exchange.

    Curt

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Great Guys....and Gal!" ;)

    It was good to meet you at Salute and tough to be your opponent in a fab game hosted by the Rejects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed! It was a pleasure meeting you, Tamsin, but perhaps not so much you crushing my center... A great game with great company nonetheless!
    - Curt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you are enjoying your holidays: SALUTE, a great ACW game, that nice place in France...

    I expect to meet you in a next year show.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to have met you at last, a more damn nice and interesting chap you couldn't wish for, hopefully see you again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great trip dude - the south of France is magnificent, and I can't wait to hear more about Salute (even if it only serves to make me jealous)....

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Juan: Yes, Malaga next time for sure, Juan.

    @Angry: Thanks very much Fran, the feeling is mutual. Though I now feel that your nom de guerre is a bit misleading as I found you neither 'angry' or much of a 'lurker'!

    @Greg: Thanks Dude! Can't wait to see you later in June!

    - Curt

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Reject HQ, it was a pleasure to meet you, game with you and lose with you. Have a great R&R in France and maybe we'll see you again one day!!
    Lastly as you are now an Honorary member of Posties Rejects (Canadian Chapter), if you so wish, you may place our Reject logo up on your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ray, I'm sure we'll be back sooner rather than later so you're definitely on. Perhaps we'll have better luck (and better quality troops) next time :P

    I may take you up on your offer plus I may want to score one of those nifty shirts you and Fran were sporting at Salute!

    Curt

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure we can sort you one out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy holidays!
    Well done for blogging on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Scott! We indeed are having a great time off. Currently in Sarlat enjoying the chateaus, sun and good food. Managed to pack a small painting kit. It has been a lot of fun setting up in the sun to plink away at a few figures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well you have made me envious Curt as I slog along in the good old US of A. That cottage looks extremely restful!

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes John, but I believe you and your missus are due for a trip soon as well and then it will be my turn to be envious!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)