Sunday, September 24, 2023

A Giant Spider, Spider-Riders, Spear Chukkas and Trolls (oh my!) for Warhammer (yes, in 10mm)

Returning back to my nascent Goblin force, I thought I'd add a few more units to beef them up a bit more. Here is a big (okay, eeenormous) spider, some spider-rider heralds, a battery of Night Goblin Spear Chukkas and a mob of River Trolls.

The giant spider was a 10mm 3d print from Wakes Emporium which I scaled-up significantly, being as I wanted a centrepiece for the typically hapless Gobbos. Kudos to the designer for the excellent model as many 3d designs don't translate well when enlarged to this extent. Bravo!

I added a few shaped pieces of blue foam insulation to build-out the rock formation she's clambering over.



I often like to make use of these larger bases to incorporate little vignettes and bit of additional terrain. For the Spider I wanted to accentuate her size, so placed a Squig 'rider' and a Spider Rider along her flanks. 


'Watch out, guys! It's not like she has indicator lights, or anything.' 


Speaking of Spider Riders the 'Big Lass' has a unit of these creepy little fellas to act as her vanguard. These models are also from Wakes Emporium.


I used colourshift chromatic paints from Greenstuff World for the spiders' abdomen and thorax.


Next up is a Night Goblin Spear Chukka battery. These models are from Green Skin Miniatures - another quality 3d designer on Gumroad.


I try to give each of my 10mm fantasy armies a distinct basing theme. Verdant for the Wood Elves, lots of buildings for the Empire, desert ruins for the Tomb Kings, etc.  For the Gobbos, I've decided to do up their bases kind of hardscrabble: dry, rocky and arid. Like this one, I often like to give them a mushroom here and there to make them feel more at home. I my world, everything is better with mushrooms. :) 


Finally, we have a gaggle of River Trolls as allies to the Goblins. These are from Green Skin Miniatures.


Not much to say about these lads, but that they're big and blue. Still, handy fellas to have around in a scrape, assuming they keep their wits about them.


And there you have it, a few more units for the Greenskin cause. I need to get some basic rank-and-file done for them next, but that'll be for another day.


Next up: Mercenaries!

Thanks for dropping in! Have a great day!

- Curt


8 comments:

  1. Very nice Curt your 10mm armies are really fun to look at!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! I guess, essentially, that's what this is all about. :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking goblins and spiders, lovely basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't want to meet them spiders anytime soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What size are these bases? They seem a lot bigger than 40mm x 20mm? Looks like 6mm models on bases for 10mm models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are not based for Warmaster. They are for a fantasy variant of 'To the Strongest' called 'Might & Magic' ('M2' for short). The standard base size is 130mm x 60mm. The giant spider is on a double depth base. Light units are on slightly slimmer bases (130mm x 45mm).

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)