Thursday, March 20, 2014

From MartinN: 28mm Late Romans, Fallshirmjaeger & AWI Militia (50 points)


From Nick:
Here's my last submission for this years challenge. It has been a tough ride and I enjoyed it a lot. I've taken part for the very first time and I have to say I was impressed by the high level of painting, the mutual support and of course by Curt's great organization. I guess this were some pretty hard but fantastic three months for all of us.
So my heartfelt thanks to you Curt for shepherding the 'Wild Bunch' and to your wife for giving you the time to do all this.
My last submission is a pretty mixed bag again. First we have three Late Roman Infantry men from Musketeer Miniatures.

Again from Musketeer Miniatures two lonely Late Roman archers. Originally I planed to finish the remaining four also but you know what Sun Tsu said about plans...
This German Fallschirmjäger I painted for a tutorial on painting splinter pattern. So regular followers of my blog probably have seen him already with only his Schmock painted.


And last but not least we have here four AWI Southern Militia from Perry Miniatures. I guess Chris aka Axebreaker will likely be happy to see them as they're proof of him finally succeeding in luring me into AWI. 

I'm pretty chuffed with how they turned out but to be honest they were a real pain in the ass to both clean and paint. Some years ago I already painted some Crusaders from Perry Miniatures so I already knew what I have to expect in terms of cleaning. But what I didn't remember was how hard they were to paint using my usual approach to painting.

And now to finally round things off nicely I've included a group shot of what I painted over the course of the last three month. 
There are two figures missing as these are by now sitting in one of Curt's cabinets in far away Canada.  In total I painted 47 Miniatures, six casualty markers, two Weapon teams consisting of three figures each plus weapon, two mounted guys and one armoured car. In comparison to our top scorers this might not be much but to me this is quite a lot. So much in fact I'm planing not to do any actual figure painting in the next weeks but go for some much needed terrain making. There's still some goodness from Tactica awaiting my attention. So hope to see you all next year again.

Fabulous work as usual Nick. All of these figures are top drawer but the highlight for me is the amazing camo on the Fallshirmjaeger and the wonderfully smooth work on the breaking Americans. Marvellous stuff (and I love the final group shot).

This fine and varied collection of miniatures will give Nick 50 points.

5 comments:

  1. Really excellent work with these guys. Especially subtle brushwork on those late Roman chappies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Nick and it's nice to see your final pic of all your entries together

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a cracking collection of stuff mate. Good to see I'm not the only one who finds Perry stuff difficult at times too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice group and an ecclectic mix! Beautiful brushwork! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Your painting is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)