Monday, December 30, 2013

From Millsy: 28mm OldHammer Fantasy Undead (100 points)


From Millsy:
Back to the Undead Army of the Cairns and Oldhammer now as Heinrich Kemmler raises a unit of skeleton warriors from their unquiet graves.
This is nominally a unit of 24, however I ran short of a few figs so it is really something like 20 (when you add up the "halves"), plus some tombstones and graveyard detritus. That worked for me anyway as I wanted this unit to be in the process of crawling out of the ground to represent Kemmler's bad ass necromantic powers.
The figs are all plastics with the exception of the leader and drummer. They were spray undercoated white, sprayed cream and then dipped (painted on), followed by dry brushing and over painting. They took longer than I expected as I really wanted depth on the skeletal parts which isn't easy when there is so boney goodness much on display. People who rubbish dipping as "cheating" amaze me as it achieves a very particular effect which is just one more weapon in the painter's arsenal IMHO.

I've got a second unit on the table now armed with spears. I really only need one in the army list so these guys with hand weapons will serve as the spell-raised unit(s) during play. More undead coming soon!

Great work Millsy! I love the guys emerging out of their graves and the bright red shields give a nice splash of colour - well done.

These boney chaps will give Millsy 100 points to add to his tally. Nice job mate!

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That explains the smell! I thought it was all the bushfires :-)

      Delete
  2. There's a group of lads you wouldn't want to meet on a night on the town, nice work they look awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. They can't hold their drink for starters!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant work!

    (It's good to see some old familiar faces there too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if you'd notice but then I should know better! Your timing was immaculate as usual my friend, never mind your unstinting generosity.,,

      Delete
  4. Wonderful skellingtons Millsy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin! At least one of them is called Jack. :-)

      Delete
  5. Looks as if they have a bone to pick. Nice work.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure used that weapon well!!!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work by Michael. A worthy entry! Dean

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very impressive looking unit. Those emerging from the ground are good additions and the shields as already mentioned give a nice splash of colour. I for one appreciate Oldhammer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely stunning... why am I feeling like resurrect my old Vampire Counts army suddenly?
    Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see some old uns.. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking unit. Excellent job. Army painter shade is an excellent tool for painting figures. I couldn't agree more.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)