Tuesday, March 19, 2013

From PhilH: 28mm Pulp Adventurers (35 points)



From Phil:


You'll never guess what I wrap up my challenge with. No sandbagging here, just another small entry : yet another eclectic collection of miniatures! 
First up, four Artizan Designs French Foreign Legion that I got on eBay or in a bargain bin ('they'll be useful some day' syndrome). Classic uniform, painted in a 1930s Khaki, these will be useful for Pulp - some hired guns for the Societe, perhaps?

Next, an investigator for Pulp, this lady looks like she means business. I really liked the sculpt, from Hasslefree Miniatures. I've no use for most of their modern range, but figured she could pass for a little earlier. Kev White does lovely females, while often very petite (this one particularly so), they seem quite natural and believable sculpts. 

Third, another lady, this time from the Victorian era. She is from the Mutineer Miniatures 'Defenders of Lucknow' pack that Gharak grabbed. I bugged him to let me have this feisty lady. She looks like she means business and can add some colour to my Sudan Brits! I've done a lot of ladies in the challenge it seems. Not entirely intentional, but they have been great to keep it varied! 

Finally, one with a story. With the Sarah's Choice rules this year focusing on noncombatants, most of the ladies I had in stock wouldn't fit the bill (I've painted them anyway, of course!). I pondered for a while and came up with two options: a single figure and a small diorama. Time ran away from me and I didn't get the diorama done, so this will have to be my stab at reclaiming the prize. 

When I saw the miniature, I was a little struck by the ethereal grace of her. I thought she'd look great alone on a cliff edge, looking out over crashing waves. Perhaps a sailor's wife, waiting for his return, quietly watching for sails on the horizon, with the breeze catching her hair. 
There's only so much space on a 30mm base, I wasn't up for making cliffs and crashing waves. But I thought I'd position her offset slightly from the usual position on the base, which I think draws out her loneliness a little. A simple paint job to bring out the simplicity of the sculpt, in my usual clean style. I tried a new recipe for the blonde hair and am rather pleased with it. She was a pain to photograph though, the flash often makes the dress look harshly pale. 
A lovely miniature and a joy to paint, Hasslefree once more. 
The paint is still drying on her. With these submitted, it is late and its off to bed I go! 
Beautiful work Phil. Though all are excellent I have to say that my favourite is the solitary lass. You've done such a nice blending with her dress and hair. Lovely stuff.

This final submission will give Phil 35 points to close off his roster. Well done and thank you for joining us again.

13 comments:

  1. You always do excellent as your base standard, the lonely lass is much better!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on all those minis.

    Actually, there will be some Foreign Legion figures in the Million Hits Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work Phil, especially the last one. I don't know why, but I think she'd make a good Amanda Blaine from the song "Hills of Shiloh" which would be a poignant reminder to us all about the effects of war: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGN3jyL5Ls4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Tamsin - a very poignant song.

      Delete
  4. Spectacular work, Phil. The last model, the sailor's wife, is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sidney, that means a lot.

      I think she deserves me doing her eyes, which I usuall can't face doing. I think I'll go back and do them soon.

      Delete
  5. Nice work Phil, love the lady in the pink dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I nearly described her as a damsel in distress, but look at how she handles that pistol!

      Delete
  6. All lovely figures Phil, and the last one is lovely. I could also see that figure in a fa tash setting as an elven queen. I thought my Oktoberfest fräulein was going to be a contender for Sarah's choice until I saw this figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael but I'm sure your cheeky Fräulein is still in with a chance - Sarah might have a passion for German beer halls...

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)