Tuesday, December 24, 2013

From GregB: 28mm Victorian Gentlemen Adventurers (10 points)


As some may know, Greg, PhilH and MichaelA are in the midst of a duel to see who can accumulate the most points in Victorian-themed figures. Michael and Phil have made their initial claims* and so Greg enters the fray with these two fine gentlemen adventurers.

From Greg:
I am adding Victorian civilians here and there to add flavour to my Sudan games. The one chap looks like the captain of one of the steamers that would have plied the Nile river.  

The other fellow I imagine as one of the numerous civilian carpetbaggers, profiteers or nitwits that would have had the means and motivation to travel to Africa in the time of the British Empire.  

The fact that the ship Captain is quietly grasping a revolver behind his back makes me imagine he does not wholly trust this other fellow. Many plots justifying a Sudan game seem to emanate from these two figures...

Great work Greg! I quite like that captain with his service revolver quietly held behind his back. One can never be sure of these odd Johnnies that show up on the Nile, wot?

These two chaps will give Greg 10 points to add to his Victorian Duel. Well done!

*On a related note: Some of you fine people may think that this Mr. Awdry chap to be a thoroughgoing, straight-ahead fellow, but I think not. No, I think he is a wily bounder, a sly cove to be sure. I don't know if any others noticed during the recent Theme Bonus Round, but in Mr. Awdry's description of his three gypsies he presented them as 'Victorian Gypsies'. Yes indeed, Victorian gypsies... Oh, I'm sure they are gypsies but I ask Mr. Awdry, what precisely makes these three lovely ladies 'Victorian Gypsies'? I did not see a pith helmet amongst them, not a Zulu knobkerrie, not even a demure screw gun. What are we missing? Hmm, I sense something distinctly sly in this supposedly quiet, unassuming fellow. Shenanigans? Perhaps. We must be vigilant...  ;)

18 comments:

  1. Very very nice they are great figures

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Captain looks a splendidly reliable chap- he could even have been in charge of the river steamer Bordein carrying Capt Trafford and a detachment of the Royal Sussex Regt to rescue Gordon in Khartoum .

    As for the historical veracity of the gypsies - the lady with the raised digit is clearly wearing a quilted petticoat - a garment which came into fashion in the mid C19th making these "entertainers" clearly Victorian!

    Well, someone had to stand up for Michael's integrity ;-)

    Pip pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the underwear eh! Kinky

      Delete
    2. I shall have to question the Saintly Mrs Awdry on such sartorial matters - particularly having seen the Daisy Dukes worn by Michael's entry for the Wild Bunch!

      Pip pip

      Delete
  3. Very nice painting on these fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky we have our fine upstanding umpire to see through such trickery, isn't it?

    Until of course the infamous Victorian US Paratrooper platoon and archaic Victorian Portuguese Cacadore Riflemen cross my painting table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent job.. I do like the captain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done that man, these are rather splendid, but on a related note: Outrage! Scandalous! How could the Awdry name be so cruelly besmirched and at this most benevolent time of year! There was most definitely nothing 'distinctly sly' in labelling them Victorian Gypsies, in fact quite the opposite - it was a blatant attempt at securing additional points for the duel! ;) In my defence, I feel the need to now disclose that they will accompany the, most definitely Victorian, caravan that I was hoping to keep secret until the 'vehicle' bonus round. Given that it is Christmas, I shall refrain from calling you out this time Mr Campbell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infamy, Infamy... They've all got in for me.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I suggest snowballs at dawn then...

      Delete
  7. Just wait till Michael sees my "Victorian" Panzer IIIs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You loaded the brush with character as well as paint, Lovely

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these figs and the painting is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work and the basing really sets them off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking chaps, and the basing is very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)