Sunday, January 17, 2021

Work Servitors from the Grim Dark Future

For 'The Golem's Haunt' I have six tireless (or is it forever tired?) work servitors for my 40K/Dark Heresy collection. 

MikeF scooped me on this theme (good one Mike!), but I thought I'd stick with it as I needed to complete these models as they've been balefully looking at me for the better part of a year.

These rather dolorous chaps are from Wargames Exclusive, an eastern European miniature company, whose products I've always really enjoyed. All their figures are made from resin, quite delicate and beautifully designed.

For those not savvy to GW lore, servitors are essentially cyborg slaves who's biological bits have been harvested from criminals, dissidents, and those poor souls thought to be undesirable. 

The reason for creating servitors rather than just building robots is that, in the distant past, the Imperium suffered a long, nasty war caused by rebellious machines with artificial intelligence (or 'Abominable Intelligence'). So now, they manufacture 'thinking' machines using repurposed cerebral cortexes and other bits grafted to machine parts. Yep, pretty horrific. In the grimdark future, mankind has become a big supporter of 'social recycling'.


I really like that these figures are not combat orientated, but rather designed to dress a domestic scene on some Imperial ship, or perhaps a compliant world. I especially like the fellow furiously polishing, perhaps the shoe of some dignitary, or maybe drying off a worthy's favourite pet; and the other servitor, pale in 'hand', cleaning a window, admiring his reflection: deus ex Machina indeed. 


Next Up: Hmm. Not sure. Either a teleport, or a peek into the Chamber of Darkness...

- Curt


9 comments:

  1. Oh those are cool.Do they come like this? Or did you add all the "domestic" touches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are stock from Wargames Exclusive. Very characterful models and a joy to paint.

      Delete
  2. Excellent paintwork Curt. The multi-coloured tubes came out extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work. You have made those models really tempting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend them - fantastic quality.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)