Monday, May 15, 2017

Landsknecht Pike Additions - Unit Done (phew!)


The first elements of this unit made their debut a little over a year ago, but its only recently that I've managed to finally complete it.

I could go on and on, whining about how painting Landsknechts can a complete rash in the codpiece, how their puff-and-slash uniforms are absolutely hell to paint, that they actually have no uniform so you can't paint-in-groups, but rather have to brush each one as an individual model, that you need a load of them to make a convincing unit... BUT I'd be lying like Conway because for all their fiddliness, and expense in time and energy, I still love working on the little blighters.

A few work-in-progress shots...

Standard bearer carrying the Fugger Family banner.



von Frundsburg banner bearer


Anyway, here they are on the last few bases that I needed to complete the unit, around 20 or so figures to add to the previous 32.


This base I completed during the final days of the Painting Challenge.

The hauptman leading the boys in...


These fellows below I just wrapped up a week or so ago for the Lead Painters League.


As you can see, I have a thing about flags...
And the completed unit of pike.


I had my good friend Byron from SG2 Creations make up some custom clear acrylic movement platters to save both fingers and figures when moving them around the tabletop.



Finally, a shot of my rather modest Landsknecht contingent as it stands now with pike, shotte, commander and handbusche heavy musket team.


Thanks for visiting folks and have a great week!

Next up: Something from Mars

39 comments:

  1. Astonishing - really top quality stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning to be sure and the clear acrylic trays are a very good idea as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sander - I hope they help save some fingertips and figures. :)

      Delete
  3. This unit just keeps getting bigger and better! Lovely work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks mate. It was high time for this one to get off the carousel.

      Delete
  4. "Captain, there's a large psychedelically-coloured hedgehog heading straight for us!"

    Lovely work, Curt - that's a tough act to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Museum quality work Curt - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work Curt :)

    As for "Next up: Something from Mars" the conventional wisdom suggests that the chances of that are a million to one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Tamsin. I hope I can stick to my prediction - I'm almost done them. :)

      Delete
  7. Outstanding work there Curt!! Now for the rest of the army right!>:-)

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, I'm working on it, slowly but surely. ;)

      Delete
  8. Smashing Mr C.! Wonderful looking unit and the end result certainly was well worth the effort. I'm normally not that much into the period but you really make it hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curt, these are really spectacular! Too many wonderful elements to point to, at risk of missing others. I love the sense of movement you captured with the positioning. Brilliant stuff, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Clansman. The figures are a joy to work with and really lend themselves to placing them into vignettes.

      Delete
  10. They look lovely and I really like that clear base!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely looking unit - like the clear plastic movement tray - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted you like it as I'm a great admirer of your work.

      Delete
  12. Congrats dude, I know that was a real slog - looks wonderful, well worth the (at times, perhaps) anger-inducing efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! Yes, they are a bit of a slog to paint but I always feel vindicated when I finally base them up.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful looking unit, great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is valued (and very encouraging) praise coming from you, Oli. Thanks very much!

      Delete
  14. Fabulous looking pike block, I would expect nothing else, I tried sending you an email, if you're still interested in my sisters of battle force I'll dig them out and take some photos and we can take it from there. The clear acrylic base makes sense with your lovely irregular basing.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely work, Curt! Great colours and basing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful, though that is rather your usual standard of both photography and painting.

    I do love the bases, though. How'd you get such a ragged yet realistic edge shape to them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. I worked with the good folks over at Warbases with the design. If you're interested in getting some for yourself, just drop them a line and I'm sure they'll help get your sorted out.

      Delete
  17. Congrats dude, I know that was a real slog - looks wonderful, well worth the (at times, perhaps) anger-inducing efforts.
    thanks for sharing...

    www.golden-slot.com
    gclub

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)