Monday, December 26, 2016

Hogwarts in 1/4800(ish) scale


I got a new 3D printer a few weeks ago. This one is a SLA/DLP model, meaning it uses a stereolithographic projector to create three dimensional forms, layer by layer, from a vat of photo-sensitive resin. Each layer is around 20-50 microns thin so the detail and resolution is quite impressive. I know, it ranks fairly high on the geek-o-meter, but the short form of all this dorkiness is that it allows me to create and print out cool stuff at home.

As Christmas was approaching I decided to use the printer to create some bespoke gifts for friends. One of these gifts was a 3D model of Hogwarts that I got from the talented Ben L. over at Thingiverse and modified for my use. 

Here are a couple images of the two parts of my 1/4800 scale Hogwarts right after printing. You can see the build supports along their bases and, well, they're SUPER ORANGE.



Hogwarts Part II with Rebel Shield Generator (don't ask...)
After I cleaned them up and removed the supports, I primed and painted them using some images I found of the original Hogwarts movie model. 



I then based the two models together on the lid of a sweets jar, added some texture gel and finally set in some foam terrain for an autumnal feel. 


There, you go, Hogwarts in all its splendor replicated in 1:4800 scale by a complete Muggle (though I hope I'd be a Ravenclaw if I attended).  :)

Now I need to come up with a wee Hungarian Horntale to fly over it...

38 comments:

  1. You have really taken to the 3D printer, not surprising though when I see such wonderful results like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! I'm still learning alot about the technology but I am having fun.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Francis. It does give a good sense of the scale of the place.

      Delete
  3. Great work, big change ahead for our hobby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. Our hobby is already well-along with this technology - especially the larger and very young companies.

      Delete
  4. That turned out beautifully! I'm kind of blown away by the quality of the printing - it was kind of hard to tell from the SUPER ORANGE thing that came off the printer!

    I love the little foam bits marking out the edge of the forbidden forest. I can almost hear Firenze galloping about in it!

    I have little doubt you would have been in Ravenclaw... I'd have likely been a Hufflepuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim! Yeah, wheneverything works its pretty darn awesome. The fact is this was printed on a fairly coarse setting (100 microns). It can do down to 20! Nuts.

      Hufflepuff is cool!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes!! The shape of things to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Top Geekiness .... good lad.. nice idea and we look forward to future creations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely mouth-wateringly good stuff Curt. Your paint-job and basing is tip-top!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is cool!
    It'd be a great terrain bit for aeronef or wings of war maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Good Call. Yes, I kept one for myself for small-scale gaming like Dystopian Wars or Wings of War.

      Delete
  9. Splendid! I'm surprised time and again by what's achievable nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's kind of frightening what can be done.

      Delete
  10. Smashing stuff mate. Now what about some pike blocks? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. These prints are from a MoonRay. I also have a Prusa filament printer that is quite good, though it's a bit temperamental.

      Delete
  12. What an excellent little gift for your friend - I'll bet you had fun with that job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a good time working on this little project. I've always like architectural models. I took a few classes in architectural CAD in uni and loved it.

      Delete
  13. Great stuff, painted it doesn't look like a 3D print at all. I have the shieldgenerators here as well, nice model it is, mine are a bit larger I guess. Anyway I have been to the Harry Potter studio's near London now twice (it's part of our school's trip to the UK) and the real Hogwarths model is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'd love to see the studio someday. Maybe next time we're in the UK.

      Delete
  14. So, how big/ small is that? Looks great, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. Hmm. The base is 100mm across. The tallest spire in the complex is around 35mm.

      Delete
  15. Best present ever :D Thanks a million! Can't wait for the dragon to arrive as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. I'll see if I can sort out the Hungarian Horntale for April. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)