Wednesday, August 2, 2023

First Units for my 10mm Warhammer Goblin Army

The Isle of Mist and Flame is home to numerous indigenous races. Some are fairly benign, while others are openly hostile, throwing spanners into the players' plans for conquest. Of the latter group, there are several tribes of Goblins who, along with their allies, occupy the forests, hills and mountains of the island. In campaign terms, the Goblins are not player-controlled, but rather run by the GM (me!) to sow a bit of mischief and chaos amongst the players.

So here are my first efforts in building a greenskin horde. 

Night Goblins!

I figure that if one is doing-up Goblins you need to have scad and scads of the pesky little blighters. With this in mind, I thought I'd break the duck by creating a big mob of Night Goblins in all their ball-n-chain, pointy-hat, drug-addled splendour. 

For an additional bit of fun, I have them being chivied along by some pals who are riding giant, carnivorous Squigs, as one does in these situations.

Here are the beginnings of a wolf rider force. Ultimately I want four of these units, which shouldn't be too tall of an order as they paint-up really fast. They'll be partnered up with Spider Riders, which should be fun, but more on that later.


I had my buddy Byron cut these slightly thinner, wavy-fronted bases to easily identify 'light' units on the tabletop.



I saw this groovy forest giant on MyMinFactory and thought he would be a nice addition to the force.




I like how stooped and wonderfully dolorous he is. I played around with the trees on his back and the base for a bit of fun.

Finally, I have a Goblin camp with watchtower. To the Strongest asks for each side to have a camp for their force. I found a few different files on MyMiniFactory and bodged this together.


I figured I can swap out the tower and replace it with a temple or shrine if needs be.


I like how rickety the tower is. I figure Goblins aren't big on Operational Health and Safety issues...


So there you have the start of my goblin force for Monsters & Magic. I'm working on several more units as I write this so hopefully I'll have some more progress to show soon.


Thanks for popping in for a look!

- Curt


16 comments:

  1. Lovin' them! Where are those riders from? They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for reminding me to credit this stuff. The gobbo wolf riders are from Wakelessrex on Gumroad.com. The Night Goblins are from Green Skin Miniatures and the Giant is from Lord of War Miniatures.

      Delete
  2. Looking great Curt. I enjoyed taking down the Giant with my steam tank. Now send them to bother other players!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. As of tonight Jeremy now joins you in having a giant noggin mounted in his mead hall. :)

      Delete
  3. Stunning work Curt, I love the camp and the wavy bases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid start to your mini goblin army!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. Good to be out of the gate with this first effort.

      Delete
  5. That is a nice looking start of an army, Curt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu! There's been a few more units added since this, but there's still lots to go.

      Delete
  6. That camp looks so cool. Did you have to scale it down for printing? Also where did you get the STL from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan! Yes, I scaled it down from the original 28mm file. It's from MyMiniFactory. https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-goblin-village-233034

      Delete
    2. ...and the tower: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-goblin-watchtower-tabletop-terrain-28-mm-295963

      Delete
  7. Given the scale of these miniatures you have done a really wonderful job of emphatically bringing the bases to life. Much more so than I have witnessed in most 28mm Fantasy armies Curt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)