Monday, March 19, 2012

From ChrisP: 'One For Fran' 28mm Dark Age Irish Warband (240 points)


Chris sends pics of his wonderful Dark Age Irish warband for use with SAGA.


I'll let Chris describe his entries:
'Since it was St Paddy's day on Saturday, I thought I would finish off my SAGA Dark Ages Irish! They were all finished up on St Paddy's day, but due to having a Stag party at a brewery, photos were a long time coming!'


'First up is the warlord, Cu Eion with his two retainers. The miniatures are from Crusader, and I think they look lovely! The poor dead Saxon is a plastic from Gripping Beast, tragically he seems to have lost his head in the excitement. The flag is also from Gripping Beast, I think it suits him nicely. I made the decision early on that nobility would have tartan patterns (and was angry at myself ever since), but here it looks pretty sharp I think.'



Next up, is two units of four Irish Nobles from Crusader Miniatures. Now, each model has his own tartan, being nobles they would have their own individual patterns which were representative of their household. The designs themselves came from a google search into Irish tartans, so each tartan pattern is historic. These guys were exceptionally fun to paint, I did them in batches of two, otherwise I would have lost it while painting the tartan! I also had to ban myself from painting them after 8pm at night, any later and the lines started to get wonky.....



'Then comes my first and second unit of Warriors. These guys are again Crusader, with a few weapon swaps from Gripping Beast plastics. They all share the same colour palatte, just to keep them looking a bit more "peasanty" compared to the bright and colourful nobles. The key colour obviously being Irish Green! There are two warrior units, the first is "Shirts" and the second is "Skins" so I can tell them apart!'



'Next is my third unit of warriors- what Irish army would be complete without Irish Wolfhounds? These dogs are reputed to ALWAYS follow Irish armies into battle, in fact the title of the warlord "Cu" means dog, and is a term of honour. These pups are more Crusader miniatures, and will be split between the two Warrior units to make them into units of 12.' 


'Then it is my last point of my warband, the levies. I decided to have my levy as the usual hangers on of an army, in this case, the women and children! The models come from Crusader and Warlord Games, and they are some of my favourites of the whole army! Which is why I have given you about 5 photos of them. My favourites are the small kids throwing rocks, the woman with her baby (take your child to work day), then of course the mandatory "woman with severed head"! Tim already did a wonderful job on tartan for her, so I kept her in keeping with the rest of the unit of levy, opting for lots of browns with very few greens opting usually to have their hair as the contrasting colour- fiery Irish red for a few! These fierce Gaelic ladies are also my only entry for Sarah's Choice, so hopefully there is one in there that she really likes! I know I am really happy with them. Ironically, these ladies are the only people in the entire army to actually be wearing shoes....'






Beautiful work, Chris!  I especially like the hounds and the villagers (I bet you that they will turn out to be the nasty ones in your games).  This very characterful warband will give Chris 240 points. Great work!

Note: Chris also sent a few pictures of the Viking he painted up for me. I've decided not to show it here, favouring instead to feature a collective blog-post on all the vikings done for me in a week or so. This being said, all of the Challengers will see that I've added additional points to your standing scores to reflect my Viking 'levy'. Thanks again to you all!

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff Chris. Love the wolfhounds and the women and children as Levy. Great tartan too - not enough tartan in the challenge.

    What Saga warband rules will you use with them?

    PhilH
    http://infrequentwargamer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bloody Chris, I would be glad to lead them into battle....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent painting Chris!!! Lovely tartans!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work - there has been some really cool stuff for these periods during the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beatiful entry. Love the hounds, and of couse "take your kids to work day" - ROFL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is a fantastic band. Very nice models and painting job, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I plan to use a sligtly modified welsh board, tge only change being to give the Hearthguard Dane Axes rather than Javekins. The rest of the Welsh board suits them well!

    Thanks for the kind words guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)