Monday, July 23, 2018

A Trio of Heroes from Star Wars Imperial Assault


For a bit of pulp summer reading, I picked up 'Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View'. 



Wow, what a page turner!  I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying it. The book is comprised of 40 short stories, all centred on the original 1977 film. Sure, some of the stories are a bit hackneyed, but most are quite inspired and a few are absolute genius. All of them do a great job in making readers of <ahem> a certain vintage very nostalgic for that innocent, bright-eyed, thrilling tale which came from 'a more civilized age'.

So, with all these wonderful stories percolating in my mind, I thought it a perfect excuse to get a few more figures painted for my Imperial Assault collection.

Here are three intrepid Rebels, eager to take the good fight to the Empire.


Saska Teft is from the 'Twin Shadows' expansion. She's a tech type of character, being very handy at hacking into Imperial systems while providing support for the rest of the party.



Fenn Signis is from the core boxed set, a weapon's expert, being specially good at laying down heaps of suppressive fire and causing mayhem amongst any close-clustered Imperial targets. 



I've run out of clear acrylic bases so I just went with gloss black for this group. I actually quite like nice, clean, minimalist look so I might just run with it in the future.




Gaarkhan is also from the core set, he's a Wookie warrior (yeah, obviously) who, not surprisingly, deals out loads of pain in close combat. 


The plastic used for these figures is quite crisp on the whole, and reasonably hard, but some of the longer weapons still suffer from being somewhat al dente in their aspirations of being straight and true, so I try to replace these bits with brass rod to give them a bit of rigidity. 


I also added a bit of length to Gaarkhan's halberd as I thought it would better suit his imposing height.


I'm doing up a series of Imperial types which maybe I'll bring out in a future post.

22 comments:

  1. Well that's going straight on my summer reading list, thank you. Beautifully painted character too, I am hoping to get to some of mine towards the end of the summer holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I very much look forward to seeing your efforts, Michael. I know they'll be stunning.

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting Curt. Great looking figures too. Love the Wookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as usual excellently done and very inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work Curt! Nothing beats the original three and I can still remember going to the first in 77 with my Dad! No film experience has ever equaled that feeling of pure awe so I am curious about that book.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being a little kid in '77 was was a time of wonder. Give the book a whirl, I think you'll quite enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Cracking stuff Curt! Sounds like a great book. I'll have to see if I can find that somewhere here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuli! I hope you can find a copy - it's a fun read.

      Delete
  6. Excellent looking fellas! Love the Wookie. He has the look of someone tearing you apart for a bad joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. You're right, he doesn't look like somebody who has a particularly great sense of humour.

      Delete
  7. Nicely animated characters,wonderfully realised!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fine brushwork dude, very well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)