Monday, January 29, 2018

Entry #8 to AHPC VIII: The Screaming Antelope & Terrain for 'Kingdom Death'


Hi All!

Our gaming group has been playing a lot of 'Kingdom Death' lately, and I have to say it's a very addictive game - very nasty and adult, but addictive. The core campaign is called 'People of the Lantern' and lasts, if you're lucky, around 30 sessions. We're about four sessions in and have managed to survive several White Lions and our growing settlement is just about to track down the next nasty: 'The Screaming Antelope'. 

From a distance, the creature looks like a giant antelope, but when you look closer you discover that it has a nightmarish gaping maw that runs down the length of its underbelly, with little creepy hands emerging from each side of the mouth that help to stuff in any nearby victim. 


Yes, the hills are alive with the sound of...screaming... Yeesh. 

As nasty as this creature may sound, it's small beer compared to what's coming down the pike. Oh well, it's not called 'Kingdom Death' for nothing.

I've painted the Screaming Antelope pretty much the same as I did  the White Lion last month. Sort of a sepia greyscale(ish) effect, with a bit of source lighting (sorry Greg) cast underneath from a dropped lantern (a little 3D print I came across). 





Sarah absolutely hates it, so I must be onto something. :)

In addition to this gnashing beastie, I've also managed to get some terrain done for the game. 


The core box comes with an assortment of punch-out cardboard pieces to represent obstructions and various bits of cover. They're perfectly fine and serviceable, but I thought it might be nice to have something a little more in-theme to go with the miniatures.

I did some poking around on Thingiverse (gosh, I LOVE that website) and discovered that some very talented folks have made excellent 3D designs of most of the game pieces. I printed off a set of the Fallen Pillars (artist: Gazgoblin) and the Giant Stone Face (artist: heribertovalle) to see how they looked. Well, as you can see they printed out very nicely, with lots of deep relieve which makes drybrushing them a doodle. 

Felix was hoping it was a dog treat.


I think I'm going to place some lanterns along the edges of these to cast (airbrush) some spooky uplighting, but that will have to come at a later time.


Next up for this game will be the oh so touchy-feely: 'The Butcher'

8 comments:

  1. I'd sooo like to play Kingdom Death - those 3D prints look fab (no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, how very droll, sir. :) It's a corker of a game. Nasty as f*ck, but very fun.

      Delete
  2. I seemed to have missed this entry, but it looks just wonderful Curt!! Your 3D posts keep pushing me towards getting one!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher! Like any piece of technology, they have a bit of a learning curve but I love it everytime it works (which is not to say everytime). :)

      Delete
  3. That's one super creepy antelope maw thingey, CC. The dropped lantern and the lighting effects are brilliant touches - they just add to the sense of horror and dismay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, just the effect I was looking for. ;P

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)