Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Entry #7 to AHPC VIII: Italian Wars Landsknecht Culverin


I've returned to my Italian Wars project to add a bit of artillery support to the collection.


This is a German-crewed culverin (or bombard?) mounted on a adjustable split-tail carriage. In modern terms this is not a particularly large gun, but to those living in the 16th century this would have been quite an impressive piece of artillery. (With it being near as much a danger to its crew as it would be to their intended targets.)


The figures are from Redoubt Enterprises and while they are a bit ill-formed and perhaps a tad lumpish, I find they have a certain charm about them and they posses a wonderful dynamism, especially in how their various poses convey a sense of movement. These fellows really reinforce the idea of them frantically trying to realign their gun while in the midst of combat.


I tried to match the groundwork to the rest of my bases, which are all autumnal, so a wide assortment of brown foliage, late blooms and a generous carpet of fallen leaves are all there. If it weren't for the big freakin' gun and its boorish crew of beer-swilling Landsknechts, perhaps it would be a nice place for a quiet repast with a bottle of Chianti, a loaf of fresh bread and a plate of prosciutto. Ah, bellissimo!

Have a great day everyone!


Next Up: Another Beastie for 'Kingdom Death'

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I felt I needed some more blackpowder to balance with my melee units.

      Delete
  2. There are so many little touches that I love, Curt. The rough edges on the base, for example, or the two-tone paint on the cannon carriage. Brilliant work, mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Matthew, I'm delighted you like it. :)

      Delete
  3. I love it! I know what you mean about those old Redoubt figures but this looks superb. You have to game a scenario where they are moving it around now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oli! Yes, I have a few scenarios percolating in my head where I can use this unit. We'll see if we can get it onto the tabletop sooner rather than later.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)