Friday, January 24, 2014

From MichaelA: 28mm Crimean War Russian Artillery (125 points)


For those not up on my senseless banter, I've been giving Michael a little good natured stick for him attempting to slip his beautiful gypsies in as part of his Victorian side challenge. So to serve me with an appropriate gob-stopper he submits this amazing battery of Russian guns who are in the midst of pounding Victoria's 'brave 600' into glue and smoking boots.

From Michael:
Whilst I am thoroughly enjoying the variety the bonus rounds have brought to my painting table, this entry is what the painting challenge is all about for me - focus! It was a wonderful summer full of dinosaur and zombie distractions, but here we have an entry that sees me back at the heart of the Victorian era - the Crimean War. 
 
This small battery of four 6lb Field Guns each with a Russian crew of four are all 28mm from the Wargames Foundry range. I find large batches (this represents a large batch for me!) of similar miniatures difficult to work on, due mostly to my inability to focus on one thing for any length of time, but a relatively recent article in Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy magazine introduced me to the concept of faces and bases! 
Having mentally prepared myself that I didn't have to lavish as much individual detail on each miniature the whole unit seemed to come together quite quickly. The only down side was when I dug out the Light Brigade for the final photograph, I realised that I no longer liked the cavalry bases they were on; still that can be a job for after the challenge!


Absolutely gorgeous work Michael. Welcome to the ranks of the nutters who do large, homogeneous units for no other reason than the simple pleasure of it looking so darn cool (and that last shot is very, very cool).

This battery of Russian guns will give Michael 125 points, which includes a little extra for the wonderful basing and assorted artillery accoutrements. Wonderful stuff Mr. Awdry!

22 comments:

  1. Well, I do not know that WSS article, but for me doing the faces and )in case of multibased minis) the extra mile for the basing is a joy, too!

    And these do look really great! I found that with little changes in the colours of the minis (can me as little as the colour of the hair) and different arrangement of the minis you can still pull of real diverse artillery units. And you have done great there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely entry Michael. Boom-booms, great painting, boom-booms, great basing, boom-booms, Victorian era, boom-booms :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great set of guns n crews Michael, lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Tamsin channeling Basil Brush again?

    Great work Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sorry, Mr Nolan, just to clarify; Lord Raglan wants us to do what, exactly...?

    Wonderful work, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the way my man, paint the unit not the individual . One of your best , really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work! I especially like the bases on these guys

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Ahh, yes. The two of you are towing the line, punch for punch so far.

      Delete
    2. Sorry Phill, mind you "piss-sticks" made me spit my tea and chortle quietly! If it's any consolation the next entry I'm hoping to submit isn't Victorian - try as might!

      Delete
  9. That's your definition of not lavishing much detail? The faces are amazing and the whole unit is packed with character mate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sir Michael stayed on task? Oh no, what's the world coming to.

    Lovely brushwork as always Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all so much, I can't tell you how thrilled O was to finally get these off the table!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work Sir M, I'm liking these a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely looking guns and glad to see you doing some proper painting ;-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Those little buggers are darn nice. The gun carriages' green is simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)