This is an 1812 period Russian infantry battalion whose colours identify it has having been recruited from the Riazan area of Russia.
To be perfectly frank, I need to paint Russian Napoleonics like I need a hole in the head. I actually finished this unit as a 'poke in the eye' to Sylvain who is currently lazily sitting on a pile of unpainted Victrix early-period Russians that he acquired last winter. When I told him that I was going to work on all my other projects PLUS match his Russian 'commitment' battalion-for-battalion he responded with typical Gallic style by saying (in his charming French accent), "Ah, is zis another one of your charming, how you say, challenge 'Gauntlets', Cuurt? Pff, add it to the pile..."
Yeah, yeah, yeah, laugh it up, Pepe le Pew. ;)
Anyway, perhaps the Painting Challenge will put a fire under his butt, we'll see.
I quite like these Perry-sculpted Foundry castings (I think they were created late in their association with WF). They have great proportions, deep folds for shading and a lot of variation to give units greater character. I started these last February to experiment with Army Painter Quickshade and thought I'd get the unit done and off the table.
I went a little overboard on the groundwork but I'm still happy with how they turned out on the whole. The flags are by the indispensable 'Flag Dude'.
I have enough castings in The Lead Reserves to do a good portion of the 17th Division of Baggovut's 2nd Corps which saw heavy action at Borodino. Cripes, yet another project on the roster...