Sunday, May 15, 2011

'You Shall Not Pass!' 28mm 'Lord of the Rings' Balrog


I remember how nervous I was going to see Fellowship of the Ring on it's release night, thinking, "Cripes, I hope they don't screw this up." Then I saw Gandalf (Ian McKellan) in his ponycart riding into Hobbiton and I knew they had nailed it. It was beautiful. Absolutely magical. Then about 30 seconds after this revelation I began settling into my seat, anxiously anticipating Jackson's vision of the Balrog. Well, Peter J. did not disappoint and when the Balrog finally made its fiery, heat-shimmering appearance I was completely gobsmacked. I felt like I was 12 again.


Anyway, when Games Workshop came out with its 28mm scale model of the Balrog I had to have one.  So I gave it a go and here it is. I had fun trying to replicate the flame effects and the molten cracked skin. I have absolutely no use for the thing but I can see it is one of my most cherished models.


Someday I'll have to try GW's model of the Witch King on the Fell Beast...

7 comments:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on first seeing FotR at cinema, I felt much the same ;-)

    Nicely done Balrog too, why not play the game, with it? Shame to leave it just as a display piece, jolly nice though it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see a use for a Balrog on a Napoleonic battlefield, if only to answer the age-old question "what if Napoleon had a Balrog at Waterloo?"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I can still feel the excitement from those first nights as well, were they going to screw up the ring wraiths, what was Gollum going to look like, etc etc, it all came out perfect.

    Great model

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!

    Scott: Actually I have played the LOTR game - great skirmish game system! I just find having the Balrog on the board seems rather silly. Technically, if one follows the books (which I like to do), Gandalf is the only 'creature' in Middle Earth that can face it. Otherwise to everything else its basically a nuke with wings.

    Miles: I think the Balrog would look great with a bearskin bonnet sitting in reserve, scratching its behind and playing cards with the rest of the Imperial Guard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry guys, it looks like Blogger 'Sh*t the bed' and we lost all our comments. Bummer. Hopefully they can recover them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries, I'll re-post; just to say great paint job. Why not play the game too to give this great and powerful beastie an outing ;-)
    regards
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, the comments have been recovered! Thanks Scott for being a good sport and reposting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)