Monday, August 23, 2021

Buildings for Moonstone from Tabletop World

Okay, let's move on from my somewhat stuttering 1:1 efforts and look at something that I've actually completed: a trio of buildings for our Moonstone games from Tabletop World. 

The mood and setting of 'Moonstone' is very Grimm fairytalesque, and I wanted some terrain that would fit with that aesthetic, so when I came across these models from Tabletop World I knew they'd fit the bill perfectly. They have a wonderful lived-in, dilapidated, sway-backed look, which makes me think of witches in dark forests, kids named Hansel and Gretel, and a wolf that is both Big and Bad.

These three models are fairly small and basic compared to some of the offerings in the Tabletop World catalog ('The Wizard's Tower' is particularly impressive). The two smaller models are listed as cottages, while the three-storey structure is from their townhouse series (I've been using it as a small tavern in our recent scenarios).

I really like all the exterior details on this model, especially the stone water trough and the harvested vegetables.


The roofs lift off and they all have great interior detail. On the larger, muli-level models, each floor is separate, to facilitate skirmish gaming.


I love the uneven stacked stone chimney and the jury-rigged roof repairs.


I won't varnish the truth. These models are expensive, BUT they are exquisitely crafted and I think you do get your money's worth. The rendered detail is astonishingly crisp, the casting is flawless and they are an absolute joy to paint.  A real pleasure to have on the tabletop.

Now, I'm going to go to their site and pine over that Wizard's Tower again... Have a great week everyone!

Next up: A Troll with a Helmet-Cannon!


18 comments:

  1. Very Brothers Grimm and they are just lovely on table. I hadn’t realized that there was interior detail, we’ve just played on the outside so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI when you buy the Wizards Tower give me poke, I may want to pick up something on the same order.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Peter. I'll drop you a note as I'm currently eyeing up their blacksmith's cottage.

      Delete
  2. Nice buildings! they definitely have that fantasy/fairy tale look to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin. I need to get a gingerbread house for a festive season scenario.

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking buildings with tremendous character and shapes you could never replicate in mdf,very nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. My feelings exactly. I love the organic, lived-in, ramshackle nature of these.

      Delete
  4. Dear Lord, that's some awesome painting on those Curt they will look impressive on the table for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sander! The models are so well done that they take paint/drybrushing very easily.

      Delete
  5. Delightful sculpts beautifully painted - bravo Curt! They would look great in any fantasy setting. I should get some so my Beastmen can set them aflame... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you Paul. I'd love to have you and your beastmen here to properly pillage them. In fact, I think they produce wrecked versions of many of their buildings - how apropos!

      Delete
  6. These are properly lovely buildings. Given the amount of our toys that stay rooted to the shelf, I’m of the view that expensive buildings like this are well worth it if they see good use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic stuff. As you say, they exude just the right vibe...I look forward to your completion of the Wizard's Tower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooo tempting.

      I really don't need both kidneys, right?

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)