Saturday, December 28, 2019

Entrry #3 to AHPCX: SAS Jungle Operators and a Huey


Hi All!

Today Sarah's Balloon drops me onto Bromley's Butte to challenge its mysteries. 


Dave asks us for: 'An individual figure or squad of tactical stealth troopers.' With this in mind, I present a team of SAS operators (or perhaps private military contractors), kitted out for jungle ops, deploying from an unmarked Huey chopper.


The models are from Spectre Miniatures' SAS range. I'm a big fan of Spectre's stuff and have found myself snapping up almost everything they have to offer. It's a bit silly as, really, how many figures do you need for a modern skirmish-based game? Well, apparently loads if you look at my lead pile! It's a little out of control. 

To be honest I have sort of a love-hate relationship with the modern gaming genre in general. I find that while I really enjoy the figures, gear and kit, I find that to 'do' the period justice, the settings and scenarios need to go beyond the typical 'lets go flatten another Middle Eastern compound' mindset. So when I'm thinking of modern-era gaming I'm often more interested in scenarios that are more nuanced, really gritty and more often than not, morally opaque. 

As an example: The SAS had a presence in Columbia beginning in the late 80s and extending to around 2010, ostensibly to train government forces in fighting the local drug cartels. Nonetheless, there are many analysts who would argue that their deployment was more to protect and project British corporate interests than anything else. In fact it's probably no coincidence that a significant portion of the private security detail at British Petroleum's site in Casanare were ex-SAS members. These personnel were also involved in training Columbian police units - the same units often associated with death squads targeting Columbian civilian leaders, academics and government protestors.  As I say, morally opaque and perhaps an interesting way to turn the accepted roles of Good Guys / Bad Guys on its head. 

Anyway, enough on the civics lesson and back to the minis. I painted these guys using the handy-dandy digital camo tutorial on the Spectre website - a great resource for those like me who have little experience with painting this kind of stuff. To simulate the spooky facepaint you often see these guys sporting, I painted most of their faces in camo as well.





The Huey began as a diecast model that I picked up on ebay a while ago. I remember it being quite inexpensive, probably due to it being in the cherry red livery of the Texaco Company (perhaps a fitting provenance considering how it's being featured in this post). 




The 'red-goes-faster' paintjob was easily fixed with a quick blast of primer and sprayed olive green and dirtied up a bit. It's a little rough around the edges, but I think it's quite serviceable for the tabletop. 

My lame attempt at a rotor wash using a coffee can glued over with spraypainted pillow ticking. Oh well, you get the idea... 

Thanks for dropping in. I hope everyone is recovering from the hustle and bustle of the 25th and is preparing for the upcoming New Years celebrations!


-Curt


6 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed this Curt, particularly the Huey as I have an inkling to do something 'Nam based before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I look forward to that as you'd do a marvellous job as opposed to my rather ham-handed attempt.

      Delete
  2. Nice unit and the rotor wash definitely passes the old man looking at it from 2' away test. Modern/ultra modern does raise some questions... thanks to childhood memories of evacuating Londond and several years of wartime propaganda my mum would be horrified I was painting WW2 Germans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get the concern which is why I find the genre thought provoking. For example I find it interesting that we get squeamish about gaming modern conflict but can be happily isolated at playing SS on the tabletop. Even the once unassailable ACW Confederate army, known for it hard-hitting pluck, is now open to moral questions - and I think that's perfectly valid.

      Delete
  3. What paints did you use to paint these miniatures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I used the paint guide available on the Spectre Website. The colours are as follows:

      Vallejo Model Color - Green Grey

      Vallejo Model Color - German Cam. Pale Brown

      Citadel Layer – Straken Green

      Citadel Base – Waaagh! Flesh

      Citadel Base – Dryad Bark

      Citadel Layer – Pallid Wych Flesh

      Citadel Shade – Athonian Camoshade

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)