Monday, May 13, 2019

Jorõgumo from 'Rising Sun' and Ashigaru from Perry Miniatures


We recently returned from a nice, long vacation and so I thought I'd catch up with some figures I had done since the last time I had posted.



First up is this rather creepy-crawly lass, Jorõgumo, from the CMON game 'Rising Sun'. 

The kickstarter for this game was a few years ago and I quickly jumped in after enjoying its viking-themed predecessor 'Blood Rage'. 





Another thing that attracted me to the game was its fabulous miniatures. They are very unique -  elegantly grotesque and wonderfully chilling. Also, as I'm a big fan of the 'Daisho' miniature rules, I thought these figures would also serve as excellent stand-ins as mythological opponents for our players to face (more on that in an upcoming post).




The figures are molded in a relatively hard plastic, so they can both survive a bit of a tumble while still taking (and holding) paint. Like all plastic figures, you have to be careful when cleaning them with your hobby knife so as to not accidentally take away any of the fine detail.

Next are a batch of ashigaru spearmen and archers from Perry Miniatures.


These thirteen chaps are from the Perry's extensive metal range. After the requisite cleaning, bending,  annoyed muttering, etc., the figures were a joy to paint. I find that samurai figures can be daunting, so I kept it simple, working around a bold red and cream motif.


I cheated a bit for the heraldic mon on their sashimonos, using wee scorpion decals I had left over from an Adeptus Titanicus knights boxed set (so I guess this is heretical on several levels).

Next post will be an after action of a recent scenario we played featuring these figures, so stay tuned and have a great week!

Curt

25 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting. I hear you on the Perry castings - the quality of the sculpts are superb but the casting quality is really going downhill. Its almost to the point I don't look forward to getting new Parry metals. I know that's blasphemy but there it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles. Yes, there is so many 'vent hairs' and flash on the metal minis that freeing them from the cotton batting can be a little messy at times.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Dean. I always like the Japanese bend towards Body Horror when it comes to the supernatural. I agree with you on the Perry metals. Their Ashigaru are my favorite period models to paint, but the molds might need to be replaced. I found using plastic spears work much better than the soft metal ones that ship with the figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Curt. I saw the Japanese figures and forgot who's blog I was looking at...

      Delete
    2. No worries, Dean has many great Japanese minis on his blog so I'm happy to be mistaken. :) Yes, I was a little leery about the spears but, weirdly enough, this set was cast in a fairly rigid alloy. We'll see how they fair on the tabletop.

      Delete
  3. Well I wasn't expecting a spider riding psychopath when I saw the post title! Lovely job nonetheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do like to keep you on your toes, Michael. :)

      Delete
  4. Curt, really fabulous. Clearly the vacation didn't dull your painting skills! I love the mix of ordinary with fantastical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Douglas. I think you'll like some of the other upcoming Kami as well - they are all wonderfully creepy and fantastical.

      Delete
  5. Those look excellent Curt and I totally understand the challenge of painting Samurai figures!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Christopher, they were great fun to work on - I love your samurai, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. “Heretical on several levels” - indeed! Great work dude

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creepy indeed mate and wonderfully painted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice but that spider lady is nightmarish! Spooky. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiwi! Yea, she is a bit...troubled. :)

      Delete
  10. Great looking lady spider rider! Lovely ashigaru too, always fancied samurai but I shall resist!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)