Tuesday, February 19, 2019

1/300 Freighter and Explosion Markers


We've been enjoying 'Cruel Seas' and so I thought I'd finally finish the freighter that came with the initial expanded release. So, I give you a poor stricken freighter, with a violent explosion amidships, soon to be added to the tonnage tally of a luck U-Boat captain.

For the water spume effect I used the same 3D fractal model explosion that I used a few years ago for my exploding Star Wars ships



I sectioned the fractal model into several pieces, switched them around, affixed the four 'boom bits' to pennies (to add a bit of weight) and was off to the races.

The airbrush made fairly short work of them, with only a few layers of green and white added with the brush. Blamo-Presto: Water Explosions!



The freighter is fairly stock work, but I did drill out the stern deck to provide a magnetised mounting for a deck gun to be swapped in if a scenario required it. Sadly, the painting is a bit uninspired (I blame the rush to finally get it finished) and it frankly shows. Nonetheless, it's done and we have a juicy target for future torpedo/bomb runs.



Thanks for dropping in folks!

8 comments:

  1. Christ that's excellent work especially the explosions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pure genius, so very effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael, I'm happy with how they worked out.

      Delete
  3. Wow!
    An excellent paintjob on the ship and some really nice splash markers. Such things are luring me into 3D printing more and more... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! It would be wonderful if we could buy these somewhere! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)