Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Entry #13 to AHPC VIII: 'The Butcher' from Kingdom Death


Staying true to course, meaning really no course at all, I have several irons in the fire with not much to show for it. Nonetheless, I did manage to finish this chap last week while preparing for a game.  

This fellow is called 'The Butcher', one of the baddies from 'Kingdom Death'. As you can imagine he's not someone you'd want to ask for a choice cut at the local grocery. In the game there are basically two types of nasties: Prey monsters, ones that the players actively hunt (the White Lion, Screaming Antelope, etc.), and Nemesis monsters, which are those who show up at the players' settlement wanting to experiment with their form of 'population management'.



The Butcher, as can be expected, is a complete close-combat goon. He likes to use his two huge cleavers and heavy armour to get in close in order to dish-out the damage - lots of bleeding crits and general gory mayhem. Last week we had the pleasure of facing off with this guy and managed to overcome him, just. Seeking vengeance, he'll be revisiting our settlement again in a few years as a Level 2 version. Being a sucker for punishment, I'm actually quite looking forward to it.


Similar to my other KD figures, I've painted The Butcher largely in greyscale, with only the lanterns on his breastplate and cloak to provide any real colour. To be frank, I'm not really crazy on how he turned out, but I'm not much for hand-wringing on these things, so here he is, warts and all.


Have a great day folks!


3 comments:

  1. Curt, I'm really astounded at your ability to bring out so much detail and variance in such a limited scale of colour. It reminds me of something someone once said to me, "Instead of trying to take it all the way from 1 to 10, explore the space between 1 and 0."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Matthew. I find greyscale to be a study in restraint and patience. I think I may have rushed this fellow a bit, but I'm still okay with how he turned out.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)