Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Spanish Civil War Figures for Nick and Christopher


During our last Painting Challenge I had a fun brush duel with Nick, Christopher and Phil to see who could paint the most points of Spanish Civil War figures. I really thought I had it in the bag by establishing an early lead, but Nick took the prize in the last few weeks with a tremendous entry which, try as I might, I couldn't manage an effective riposte. Well done Nick!

So, here I present my tribute figure to Nick for his well-fought win: a Republican dinamiteros preparing to throw his pipebomb IED. 




This figure is from the excellent Empress range. 



I'm also sending along a LMG team as a belated reply to our Annual Friendly Figure Swap.




These guys are from Wargames Foundry's French partisan range which I think work very nicely for Republicans. If you squint a little, the Bren becomes a period appropriate Czech ZB vz 26. :)



AND for Chris, a Canadian standard bearer from the 15th International Brigade for being such a great supporter of the Challenge all these years.


Again, another Empress figure. He's carrying the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion colours


I'll be following up with a figure for Phil in a few weeks. That one I plan to hand-deliver later this autumn when we visit Crisis in Antwerp (SO excited). Now, how's that for service!

Next Up: An AAR from our '43 Italian campaign

22 comments:

  1. Stunning work, I have no doubt that they will take pride of place in the respective display cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Curt, they would grace any Army.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work, the most tempting period of the 20th century for me, fascinating and gory! These are all lovely, the banner bearer and banner being especially good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, very much appreciated. AND I do have your figure on the desk awaiting the brush.

      Delete
  4. Great stuff, I've always loved your bases

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work as always Curt. Lots of character in these figures and you've captured them wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. Figures like these make the painting light work.

      Delete
  6. Those Empress sculpts are fantastic. Well done dude, I'm sure the recipients will be thrilled to get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dude! I have to clear the deck of my debts before the next Challenge season.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful work Curt - I'm sure that Nick and Chris will be very pleased to add them to their collections :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tremendous painting my friend! Can't wait to get my grubby fingers on these. They'll fit in nicely with my other Republicans and I'll make sure they'll recieve pride of place as well in the cabinet as in the front line. Hopefully they'll do better than those poor sods I usually paint :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted you like them, Nick. They will be poor cousins next to your beautiful brushwork, but I hope they bring you luck on the tabletop.

      Delete
  9. Very cool indeed Curt. I particularly like the standard bearer.

    Nice work with On the Turntable too. Hand't come across Bat for Lashes before. Giving them a spin now and I think I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy! Delighted you're enjoying the tunes BfL is getting a lot of rotation in our household.

      Delete
  10. Curt, these gritty irregulars really capture the feeling of the SCW. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matthew - They are a scruffy lot. 'No Pasaran!'

      Delete
  11. Wow thank you very much Curt! Really excellent work! Did Nick tell you that I'm a fan of flags, because if not then superb guess! Sorry for the late reply, but I just got in from holidays in the US of which I hope to show some pics. Once again thank you very much!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Christopher - I hope you had a lovely trip Stateside. Delighted you like the standard bearer and hope he gives you luck on the tabletop.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)