Sunday, August 6, 2017

Italian Wars Swiss Pike from Bern, Appenzell and Solothurn


Yooray! Another unit added to my Italian Wars collection. This time out we have a mob of Swiss pikemen from the cantons of Bern, Appenzell and Solothurn. 

The majority of figures from this unit were commissioned from the very talented John over at Jacksarge Brushes & Battles. 

Usually I prefer to paint my own figures, but I wanted to get this collection to a playable state sooner rather than later, so I've enlisted some help from a few pals from around the globe to assist me in getting them done.  I've already blogged about Brendon's Spanish jinete light cavalry and Chris' Lucerne pike; well, later this year you will see some work from two other paint condottiere whom I'm very happy to have as friends. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag until they're all done and based-up - so more on that later.


As I enjoy doing the composition, banners and basework, I had John focus on painting the figures and I'd take care of the rest.


I actually received these figures around a year ago, but the Painting Challenge and other projects sidelined me from getting them properly based-up until this summer.

As you can clearly see John does beautiful work. I'm very, very pleased with them. 


These figures are Perry Dave Andrews sculpts from Wargames Foundry. While they are a little long-in-the-tooth I find that they are really lovely castings; nicely proportioned and conveying a wonderful sense of movement. 


To be honest after my Landsknecht pike I wasn't really keen on doing another formation in a charging pose as they are complete swine to base and take up about twice the space as a regular unit, but I couldn't help myself when I came across these models while browsing the WF catalogue. Oh well, I reason that these levelled-pike units can be used to denote veteran or particularly large-sized units so I'm okay with having a few in the collection. 



I painted up a few more models to help round-out the unit. There's a standard bearer buried in there that's mine, the horn player, the mounted hauptmann overseeing the lads and the poor landsknecht out in front, having a little lay-down.




The banners are from Pete's Flags


In this last shot you see the pikeblock being screened by a unit of Bernese halberdiers and led-in by their mascot, 'Daisy'.



Next Up: A couple of Big Guns for the Mechanicus.


59 comments:

  1. A wonderful, collaborative effort! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stunning. fought an Italian wars battle today https://28mmheroes.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/old-guard-refights-waterloo.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful basing, flags & composition Curt. It was great being able to collaborate on this project with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John! The pleasure was all mine - thanks so much for the sterling brushwork.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a great collaborative experience.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous job on these, Curt!

    I've never been a fan of the "at charge" pose for wargames figures. I've come to tolerate them in my skirmish forces (which are individually-based and can be moved around a bit when coming into contact), but I'd never use them for multi-based figures myself. As you say - they take up way too much space that way!

    I do like the way you've made the base for the unit extend out to the end of the pokey end of the pikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim! It's funny, as I couldn't imagine using these for skirmishing being as they are so tippy and pokey. To me, they seem best suited in a formation where you know exactly where you're at with them. Horses for courses, eh? :)

      Delete
  6. Very nice looking unit worthy of a display it looks stunning all laid out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That style of basing is so good. I really like the pikes laying flat but the real estate that it take up requires nice big tables. Keep them coming Curt they are a joy to behold regardless of who paints them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I had not realised that the Lucerne pike have been based too. Now please an image or two of the whole force!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Chris! I'm glad like your lads set in their ranks and files. Thanks for the great work.

      Delete
  8. They are absolutely stunning, I can not wait to see your whole collection arrayed for battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John. I definitely have to remember to get a few pics the next time they're all arrayed on the tabletop.

      Delete
  9. Couldn't agree more with the others - stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful looking regiment Curt!! I totally understand about needing help sometimes. As my hair gets grayer I've also realized if I don't get help with some periods they will never see the gaming table which has lead me to get some assistance.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher. Yes, I'm at a point where I know that if I don't get a helpful nudge here and there, I'll never get some of my collections to the tabletop.

      Delete
  11. So very, very good Curt, masterfully done Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job all around guys - congrats on getting another unit into the line!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are fantastic - I love the dense basing it looks superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Oli. They are a bit fiddly to compose into a unit, but I like the final product once it's all said and done.

      Delete
  14. Draw droppingly amazing Curt. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely looking pike block, I like the levelled pike blocks, I know it takes up a lot of space but it looks so much more menacing looking down the business end of those sharp points! Looking forward to a shot of your renaissance collection soon, it'll be great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, Iain. I can't imagine facing a formation of these at the charge. 'Bad War' indeed...

      Delete
  16. Absolutely wonderful mate. Beautifully painted and you've done them proud with the basing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy! I very much look forward to working with your lads in the future. I know they will be smashing.

      Delete
  17. My golly gosh! Fantastic. I love the density of the basing, and you've really run with my irregular edge idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. Yes, I'm a big fan of this style of basing - thanks for giving me the impetus to try the idea out.

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous work! The Bernese flags really make the unit pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan - One can never have too many bears, I say. :)

      Delete
  19. Absolutely fantastic composition there Curt, you've really created a sense of dynamic movement to the point that the unit is a mini diorama. Really inspiring stuff.

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Stuart. The figures really lend themselves to being composed in a compressed vignette - it then becomes a matter of sorting them into place that seems natural.

      Delete
  20. I somehow missed this at the weekend. Lovely figures and excellent basing Curt - a great addition to your collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the dramatic look of this unit - and am very attracted to the idea of the basing you've used (with the plastic tray). Its giving me lots of food for thought when I come to basing my Swiss.
    (PS - these figures from Foundry are actually Dave Andrews sculpts).
    Great army there - all the best, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, I'm delighted you like them and thank you for pointing out my slip on the figures' provenance (facepalm). I've edited my post accordingly. Thanks again.

      Delete
  22. Curt, that unit is a true work of art. Hat's off to you, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Matthew! I enjoy these collaborative efforts.

      Delete
  23. Superb! Looks awesome! Another fantastic collaboration! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning looking unit Curt. While a bear to store and move around, it is definitely a showcase piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean! Yes, I must admit these units do take a little more thought and caution to use and store. Tall transport boxes and pricked fingers!

      Delete
  25. Those pike blocks are simply superb and such a novel idea in basing.....never seen this before...inspiring, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Missed this at the time- it's absolutely superb! One of the finest units I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you've already commented above, but I very much appreciate the encore encouragement. Thanks Simon! :)

      Delete
  27. ...so good I praised it, twice. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)