Monday, August 29, 2016

28mm Napoleonic Spanish Guerrillas and (another) Mediterranean Cottage


Keeping in theme with last week's French Dragoons, here are some of their antagonists - a small group of Spanish Guerrillas, exhorted by their priest and being called-to-arms by their drummer boy. 



For the most part these figures are from Brigade Games' Napoleonic Spanish range, but I see in there at least one figure from the Perry's Carlists collection as well. (This range has several non-uniformed codes that fit very nicely for the Napoleonic period). The priest is an older figure from the collection but he needed a repaint after taking a nasty spill (falling from grace, so to speak).



With this group done I will give have around thirty figures for the entire force, enough for most skirmish scenarios, I think.

In addition, I've included the next building from my recent Grandmanner purchase. 


This cottage has a fairly simple square shape but it does have a nice walled veranda, which adds a bit of visual interest (and some welcome cover for skirmishers).



For this building I used a slightly lighter, more tan colour palette. The effect seems a little more rustic overall. I'm not entirely sure that one is better than the other, but this one was definitely faster to paint, which is a big plus to my way of thinking. 


Okay, just one more cottage to go from this series. To try to keep things interesting I think I'll change time periods for the last one. 

Thanks for dropping by everyone! See you soon.

48 comments:

  1. Looking good. I think I prefer the colour of this one. Nice and earthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy. I agree - and it's less fiddly to paint, which is a big plus.

      Delete
  2. Some great additions and great to see the ranges mixed together.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. It's nice to have a bit of a mash-up of stuff to keep things interesting.

      Delete
  3. More gorgeousness - great work Curt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Patsy running through my mind when I read your comment. ;) Thanks Tamsin.

      Delete
  4. Great work and good to see a comparison between different manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Curt! Sharpe and his boys coming next perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have a mess of 95th but I've never been able to bring myself to do up Sharpe and Harper. Maybe this winter I can screw up the courage to paint their bare-headed mullets. :)

      Delete
    2. perhaps there should be a Sharpe themed bonus round in this year's challenge!

      Delete
  6. Excellent
    All you need to complete the look of the cottage models is to throw in a few British pensioners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Very good Miles. Yes, along with a dodgy swimming pool and a Spanish home inspector.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Why thank you Sir! (Sweeps ground with feathered hat.)

      Delete
  8. Well done again Curt. Great to see the. Buildings along with the figures.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fine looking figures and cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking guerillas, especially the priest. I think this building looks better, a combination of tone and what you've done with the roof.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention that - I went back and did the same effect on the first cottage's roof after I did this one. Thanks for dropping by Iain!

      Delete
  11. Just the job. Nicely done Mr C

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific work, Curt - the Grand Manner terrain paints up very nicely indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ev. Yes, while it can be a bit expensive, I really like the surface detail of the Grand Manner models. It almost paints itself!

      Delete
  13. Fantastic work. The building looks incredibly realistic. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. True patriots!
    Really nice painting work. I like a lot the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan, I thought you might like them.

      Delete
  15. Very nicely done Curt, the cottage is nice. I have rebased all my Napoleonics that I had left after the big sale but still have not terrained the bases, I will take a lead from your palate.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! Are you basing your 28s for skirmish or big battalions?

      Delete
  16. Very nicely done, the simpler paint scheme must be a relief after all those landsknechts! Nice building too, scenery is even more vital in skirmish games to make it all look spiffing I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jamie. Yes, painting something other than striped and puff-and-slash is a nice break. And I agree, good terrain is an absolute must for skirmish games - something I've been woefully negligent these past few years.

      Delete
  17. More painted terrain - dude, I don't know how you manage it! :)

    Great work my friend, these are beauties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! Yeah, I've always felt that every hour spent working on terrain is time away from working on figures, but I need to make sure that they have as nice a surrounding as possible when on the tabletop.

      Delete
  18. I like the "stains" on the building walls, gives it a very realistic look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Iannick, I used Army Painter as a wash and then drybrushed, in lighter tones, select areas of the cottage, typically the plastered parts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're really gathering steam for the upcoming AHPC don't you? Marvellous work Curt and very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! Frankly I can't bring myself to even think of the Challenge yet - but soon I will need to!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)