Wednesday, September 30, 2015

For Nick - 28mm White Russian Command Stand


Well, after an extended summer hiatus I've wandered back to my brushes and keyboard. The past few months have been very restful with many hours spent puttering around the yard, hanging out with Lady Sarah and the Hounds, and putting a load of kilometers on the bicycles. But now the leaves are turning colour, the temperatures are beginning to cool, and so I though it time to remove the dust sheet from the hobby desk and stoke the boilers once again.

Over the past couple of years my good friend Nick (over at Moiterei's bunte Welt) and I have taken to exchanging painted figures after the flurry of the Painting Challenge. Basically we each pick a figure we fancy and the other tries to do his best with it. This year Nick did up 'The General', a wonderful sculpt from the Lead Adventure range to add to my post-apocalyptic collection. As you can see he did a fantastic job on him. I love the saturated colours of his uniform and the way Nick's done the basework to match my other models.

The General
For my part, Nick wanted me to paint him a female commissar for his Russian WWI/Civil War collection from the range offered by Mike Copplestone. Well, with a little foot-dragging on my part I'm happy to (finally) present my offering to Nick.


These two figures represent members of the Kornilov Regiment which fought doggedly with the Whites during the Civil War. The rifle-pennon is a hand-painted affair, taken from something I spotted on the web.


Similar to the other figures in my RCW collection, I added some white flowers on the base to help underline their loyalties.



There you have it Nick! I hope these two Russians find a good place in your collection and I look forward to our next exchange.

Next up: More wee men from the Napoleonic era.

36 comments:

  1. Wonderful work, Curt!
    I'm sure Nick'll be more than happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beatiful brush work Curt! I'm taken by how you managed to create a little dioramic piece by arranging the figures. It looks like they might be out on patrol and the commissar has heard a suspicious noise... I'll certainly make sure these will recieve theprominent place they deserve in my cabinet. Thank you so much! Greetings from sunny Sicily ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sicily!? You lucky dog. Well, I hope you're having a wonderful time. These two will be making their way to Germany very soon.

      Delete
  3. I am a bit passive about the hobby but you, my friend, are inactive!

    Very nice painting work, fantastic and perfect for that Shock Regiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan. Yes, the hobby batteries needed a solar recharge so I took full advantage of the summer, but I'm back and re-invigorated for the months ahead.

      Delete
  4. What a stunning little vignette, Curt. The attention to detail on it is simply staggering, with the base alone looking like a masterwork. There's areal sense of danger and apprehension with this couple. terrific stuff and a great way to get back into the swing of things :-) p.s. I hope the two Black Mists found their way to you form across the Pond?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon! And yes, I did receive your Black Mists - again, thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. Clansman, lovely work and great to see you back in the groove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Quisling! It's nice to be back.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Why thank you Francis and I'll take this opportunity to welcome you back to the madness.

      Delete
  7. Lovely work from both of you, and the basing on both stands is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Curt! I'm sure Nick will be one very happy man when he receives them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely wonderful, the miniatures alone are great, but you always manage to base your work so impeccably - fabulous job Curt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Michael! As you know the Devil's in the Details...

      Delete
  10. Excellent as always - a little amuse bouche for the winter's painting? Good to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! Yes, I have to get in the rhythm before the storm. :)

      Delete
  11. Brilliant job the both of you - love them both.
    Maybe we should do something similar once I get home Curt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Paul! Just drop me a note and we'll get something arranged.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks moipasfou, I'm happy you like them.

      Delete
  13. Almost missed this. It looks great and I'm sure Nick will be pleased as punch to receive it! Makes me think of collecting for the period......

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Christopher. I hope you can get a game in with his WWI/RCW collection in the future.

      Delete
  14. I really dig these mini's Curt very nice palette! The basing, as always, really makes them stand out as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)