Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Post-Apocalyptic Tube Raiders inspired by Metro 2033


Wanting to switch gears for a bit I thought I'd add a few more models to my slowly growing collection of post-apocalyptic figures inspired by Glukhovsky's novel 'Metro 2033'



In his book, a bio-nuclear war occurs in 2013 which devastates most of the world. In Moscow, the only survivors are those who managed to make it into the Metro (notable for being one of the deepest in the world). 

Twenty years later the survivors have splintered into various conflicting socio-political factions (neo-soviets, neo-fascists, cannibals, etc.), each centered around a Moscow metro station. In addition to this ever-restless friction between rival factions is the fact that horrific mutants from the surface are trying to force their way into the metro. So basically, at its core, it's your typical Russian novel, y'know, all sunshine and lollipops.



These castings are from the Lead Adventure Miniatures' 'Zone Dogs' pack. I really like this whole range of figures as they are so varied and jam-packed full of characterful details. 



I especially like the figures which sport a mixture of civilian and military gear as it lets me play around with whacky colours and patterns that you'd never see in a purely military setting.



For the basework I followed pretty much in-step my other stuff and kept with an ash waste motif, with  a smattering of shattered bricks for colour, and a dash of rusted piping as a final flourish. I hear this is all the rage in 'Irradiated Homes and Gardens'.


I'm pleased with how the bright orange foam sleeping pad turned out on this fellow. The original colour was pretty darn bright but it toned down nicely with a bit of thinned ink.





For this chap I gave him a well-worn Russian NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) suit. I was really wanting to give him a lurid GAP branded satchel but I didn't know if Russia has a big-brand clothing store equivalent.


I have another package of these guys tucked away somewhere, but I'm thinking I need to build up a horde of some sort of atomic-mutant-type-thingys to act as counterpoint to these 'uncorrupted' survivors. I have a few ideas rattling around in my head, but more on that later.


Next Up: Hmm, I dunno. It will either be more WWII Canadians or perhaps Gladiators... Squirrel!!

41 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting and basing, so many layers of details that pop out when you start to look closer at the minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Powder! Yes, they take a while to paint-up as they have so much detail packed onto the figures. Still, lots of fun to work on.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work Curt! The figures do look fun to paint and entertaining.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher. Yes, I find they are a nice 'escape figures' for when I really want to change pace and relax.

      Delete
  3. Excellent work! These post apocalyptic packs from Lead Adventure are some of my all time favorite minis ever. Plenty of character and wonderful varying detail all around. All the different clothing and equipment choices really make them an interesting bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they are real gems. Not to everyone tastes, I can understand, but I quite like working on them as there really are no 'rules' to painting them up.

      Delete
  4. Those are quite nice. You are prompting me to want to read the novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good read though pretty bleak stuff. The audiobook version is particularly good as the narrator has a great grasp of the Russian accents.

      Delete
    2. I just picked up the audio book. So far I am enjoying it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm delighted they tickled your fancy! They are a bit pricey but well worth it. I often get mine through Cool Mini or Not as they often have promos which helps to take the edge off.

      Delete
  6. Very nice painting work. You have done a great work in these fantastic figures! Now, for the Mutants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan. I agree, we can't have a proper post-apoc setting without some irritable scaly mutants with pustuled bits falling off.

      Delete
  7. I saw these on the Pig Iron site and wasn't all that taken with the sculpts until you posted these pics. Fantastic work - I'm rather tempted to get some myself now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (And by Pig Iron, I of course meant the Lead Adventurers site.... *sigh* More caffeine, I need more caffeine. ~_~)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dai, I'm happy you like them. (And no worries on the Pig Iron/Lead Adventure switch - they are of a similar look and feel to be sure. And now you've reminded me that I need some coffee as well. :) )

      Delete
  8. These are some excellent additions to your collection. Every time you show something on your blog I feel the urgent need to try it out too... well, as long as you're not doing any Waterloo stuff I'm fine... I think ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, much appreciated. Come to think of it, I do have some Waterloo stuff waiting in the cheap seats awaiting some attention... :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Why thanks very much Francis! Very kind of you to say.

      Delete
  10. Brilliant work. You have captured the feel of the novel and computer games nicely. Careful, you will end up making a tunnel terrain set!. Funny, I have just started re-reading Metro 2033 for the third time. It's great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. You know, I was actually looking at the resin metro tunnel sections from Ainsty Castings and thought, 'Curt, me boy, this is truly the path to madness...' It is very tempting though!!

      Delete
  11. These are incredible, they capture the feeling perfectly. I've been meaning to read Metro for a while, I might finally get round it now. I love all things abandoned, underground and generally a bit dystopian - so these are bloody inspiring on all counts. I want some of my own now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieran, I'm delighted you like them. The book is very good and I can also recommend the audiobook as the narrator does a great job with the Russian names and accents.

      Delete
  12. Wonderfully rough and ready mate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look really, really good. Fantastic sculpts that you have done justice with a very worthy painting.
    chers

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is something wonderfully creepy about gas masks...great work, and I'll definitely have to read this novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally. I remember as a kid being totally creeped out upon seeing that classic image of the WWI uhlan mount with the gas mask on. Just thinking of it makes makes me shiver...

      Delete
  15. Great looking survivors of the Apocalypse!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice models and paintjob Curt, certainly captures the feel of the book you described :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott! I find them relaxing to work on as there really isn't any 'rules' to painting them.

      Delete
  17. Great looking figures. I love the gas masks. Captures the feel excellently. I'll have to look into these, they might work for IHMN as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin! Yes, the gasmasks are wonderfully creepy and really make the figures.

      Delete
  18. Great figures. What rules set do you use for post-apoc mayhem? I've bought into 'Across the Dead Earth' kickstarter - the rules look great but am yet to play them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonah. Actually I've been using Chain of Command for our post-apoc games with a few mods to add flavour. They give a very nice skirmish game and the rules are easy to pick up by new players. This being said they were not written for this theme so you need to tweak them to suit your tastes. This being said, I'll have to check out this Across the Dead Earth kickstarter you mention...

      Delete
    2. I have now actually used the Across the Dead Earth rules (sort of), and can definitely recommend them.

      http://greenhorde.weebly.com/blog/across-the-dead-earth-ish

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)