Sunday, April 20, 2014

Entry #4 to the 8th Lead Painters' League: 'Francois, forget that Rosetta Stone, come look at this...'


This is a double-header weekend as I catch up with my past entries to the Lead Painters' League.


When we were in the midst of the Challenge I was swept up with the 'all-things-camel' vibe and so picked up a set of revolutionary war French dromedary troopers in order to submit to the group. I had them finished well before the end of the Challenge but then realized that I was short  a few entires for the Lead Painters' League so, sadly, I decided to hold them back.




Nonetheless, here they finally are - my tip-of-the-hat to 'The Wild Bunch', and specifically to Clint, who started it all with his wonderful Revolt in the Desert project. Seen here is a trio from Napoleon's French Dromedary Corps, along with a group of ardent French academics (savants) from l'Institute  d'Egypte in the midst making a groundbreaking discovery (or a horrible, horrible mistake...).


One of the savants is actually a cameo by Stephen Maturin doubling in from my Aubrey & Maturin submission for the Favourite Characters bonus round. 


My current submission to the LPL (the 5th) is a chariot-borne Boudicca in homage to my lovely red-haired, Welsh wife Sarah. If you have the time, please go check out the match to see her along with all the entries from the other 39 participants in the League. In the meantime I'm going to work on some French Indochina figures for next week's 6th submission.

37 comments:

  1. Thanks Andrew, they're not something you see everyday and were a blast to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, the camels. So many of us got infected with that contagion during the Challenge. You did well to stave it off for so long :)

    Lovely work Curt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks Tamsin, you're right, I could only hold out for so long.

      Delete
  3. The famous camels... Fantastic painting work again, and a very interesting idea for a game... really interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan! I do hope to have a 'Strange Aeons' game set during the French occupation of Alexandria.

      Delete
  4. Those French academics are insane! Truely inspired, and yes, the Rosetta Stone has nothing like the interest of a real sanity blasting horreur !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Sidney. If these savants weren't insane before they will be after this little discovery. ;)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You don't sound too convincing there Phil, but thanks for the sentiment nonetheless. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say Francis, thank you!

      Delete
  7. Next year, you're going to have to have a Camel Theme Entry! Very nice work Curt. I missed the LPL today due to it being Easter. Hope you and the missus had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a bit of a phenomena this year, eh? Thanks for your well wishes Anne, I hope you and your's had a nice weekend as well. As to the LPL I have a tough match ahead of me this week - every vote will count!

      Delete
  8. Great work Curt! Can't go wrong with Cthulhu and some daring if foolish academics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it is a recipe for entertaining mayhem to be sure!

      Delete
  9. As always you did an amazing job on these figures. They really turned out great and as you know I could maybe feel a little bit tempted to do napoleonics for the very first time ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! The uniforms from the early Revolutionary period are really quite marvelous and the actions are unique, relatively small and varied as well. A good period to get into.

      Delete
  10. Camels! What can I say. Yes I may be partially to blame, but only partly! I was not the only one.

    I just want to say that this set of figures looks really fantastic. Not seen those figures before but they are truly interesting sculpts and you have painted them so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Clint! These models are from Brigade Games (I need to put that up in the post actually...) in case you want to add some more of the beasts to your wonderful collection.

      Delete
  11. They really look great Curt! These have been on my to do list for quite some time.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! That whole range from Paul Hicks is marvelous. I really look forward to getting some more done this summer.

      Delete
  12. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skyline Spirit, welcome aboard!

      Delete
  13. That sir is absolutely superb. Wonderful painting and the subject matter brought a smile to my face. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy! I was fortunate to get a victory with these guys - the Elder Gods were on my side apparently...

      Delete
  14. Uh they look great and such a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A funny idea and some excellently painted miniatures. I loved to vote for them.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stefan. It would be a neat idea for a mini campaign.

      Delete
  16. Dude - this is outstanding! And I quite like the "discovery"...so oddly compelling - what could go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! And everybody thinks the French left Egypt because of the British...

      Delete
  17. Excellent work Curt. I cant help but love that Cthulhu-like statue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's always a crowd pleaser in games. Cute little guy...

      Delete
  18. What! French dromedary troopers? What more did I miss... Most excellent Curt, as are the others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun with camels! Thanks for your shout-out Mike. See you in a little over a week!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)