Friday, February 28, 2014

From MartinN: 28mm Late Roman Cavalry & Archers (30 points)


From Martin (Nick):
One of my goals for the challenge was to paint up the Late Roman figures I have in my lead pile. As the end of the challenge grows closer I'm slowly running out of time for this. So here are two heavy cavalry and two archers from Musketeer Miniatures.
I really like the figures Bill is making. They're full of character and require little in the way of cleaning.  Sometimes the detail on the tunics and trousers is a bit flat but they still are a treat to paint.
I decided to go for another colour scheme as for my other Romans as they look a bit too elite to me nowadays in their greyish blue tunics. Most of the older figures are also missing the patterns I painted on these guys here. 
As I occupied myself with the late Roman army for over a year now I came to the conclusion they need these patterns to look right. So maybe I have to go back to my older figures somewhen.


Till then I still have six archers and three infantry men left in the queue which I'm hoping to finish in time.

Wow, absolutely stunning work Nick! I really like the red patterns you've chosen for the archers' tunics and the duller toned metallics seem to resonate well with these figures (especially the scale mail and helm on the mounted leader). But it is in the facial detail where your brush control just amazes me - astonishing stuff and a feast for the eyes, bravo!

These Late Romans will give Nick 30 points. Again, lovely work.


And while I have everyones' attention I'd like to make a few announcements:

1) First, some sad news. Kent has suffered a serious back injury and so has regretfully decided  to put down his brushes and bow out of the Challenge. He told me he was very disappointed as he had planned a glorious dash to the finish, but things just didn't turn out. He extends his heartfelt thanks and well wishes to all his fellow Challengers and hopes to join company with us all next time out. I know I speak for all of us in wishing him a speedy and comfortable recovery. Get well Kent, your participation will be missed!

2) On to more prosaic news: The bonus points for the 'Casualty' bonus round have been tabulated and the participants' scores updated on the roster. Also as a reminder, Sunday 6pm (CST) will be the cutoff for voting on the Casualty round so if you've not had the opportunity to see the gallery please take some time to visit, enjoy the wonderful work and cast your votes for your favourites.

3) Finally, remember this Saturday midnight is the deadline for the 'Favourite Character' theme round so now's the time to stoke the fires of industry and get your submissions wrapped up and into me. I'm looking forward to seeing what folks come up for this one! I'll endeavour to have the gallery up by late Sunday afternoon...

Thanks and have a great weekend everybody!

21 comments:

  1. Those are some nice looking figures and you've done a smashing job painting them up. Your horses are gorgeous and I really like the way you based the figures.

    To Kent: So very sorry to hear this news. My family will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. You have been quite an inspiration to us all throughout the Challenge and you will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Job on painting on the paint job! I agree that Musketeer has some really amazing minis and you have done them justice!

    @Kent (hope you are reading this): Sorry to hear about your injury! Hope you get well soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick: Superb figures - the shield work is stunning. I'd love to see a picture of your entire Late Roman army

    Kent: very sorry to hear about your back troubles and I wish you a speedy and effective recovery. I always look forward to seeing your painting skills on display and hope you can get back to the work bench when you're ready. - Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Martin

    I hope Kent recovers quickly from his back injury.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work - love the shield work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are truly superb.. well done

    Bad news for Kent. I hope you recover swiftly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, wonderful painting Martin. These are absolutely excellent.

    Kent - that's dreadful news, Sir! Take it easy mate, rest up and very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  8. A master of the brushes Totally fantastic.

    Kent: I wish you well

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flawlessly brushwork by Nick on equally impressive sculpts by Musketeer.

    Speedy recovery to Kent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BEAUTIFULL work Nick.
    Get well soon Kent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving these miniatures. The Late Roman army is one of my favourites and you have done yourself and it proud here. Great brushwork.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic work, I have totally failed to get my 15mm to the table but that's inspirational.


    Kent. Sounds horrid and not the way anyone would want to bow out. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see more of your work through the rest of the year

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  13. First up what fantastic painting great job secondly thxs everyone for your kind comments it has been hard to make choice to stop buti have really enjoyed the comp and wish everyone the best
    Cheers
    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a gorgeous entry Nick. The colours are spot on and your painting is so crisp. Just beautiful.

    Kent, get well soon mate. We're all thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Superb brushwork Nick!!!
    Sorry to hear about your back Kent, hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, those Romans are very spiffy. Were the shields transfer or freehand? Also, what paints did you use for the tunics?

    Kent, I'm very sad to hear about your back and having to bow out, but get healthy and back in painting shape :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superb painting as always from you.

    Kent, I hope you have a speedy recovery. You should be very happy with your points total - it's about 2450 more than I could get.

    Pip pip

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! As long as you're not a spam droid I'll have it up on the blog soon. :)